Freshwater stonefish (Toadfish)

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I kept the same species as yours in the past but mine didnt last in freshwater... I've since seen the freshwater stone fish but sadly dont have space for one...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

pudgeking

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
New York City
I just got a couple of these guys at around 3 inches long.
Do you think these are the same species as yours?
IMG_0338.JPG
I presume its either batramachus trispinosis or allenbatrachus grunniens, but dunno which.

Any advice or experiences would be very helpful, as I really hope that I can take good care of them. I pm'd you about this also

IMG_0338.JPG

pudgeking

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
New York City
update! I just saw one of my little gremlins snap up a rosy red, so I'm happy about that. I know that rosy reds are not a good long term food source, but I'm glad to see the stonefish eating. It's hard to tell with their big heads and broad fins, but I thought my stones were looking pretty scrawny.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Pudgeking, is your fish in fresh or brackish? Coz im pretty sure you have a brackish water toad fish...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

pudgeking

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
New York City
all stone fish are more suited to brackish in the long run, but several species are often sold as "freshwater" stone fish because they are caught in freshwater. They live in estuaries, and they spend time in freshwater, brackish water, and marine water. When they are young they spend more time in freshwater, but they are said to need brackish or marine as they mature. Hopefully down the road I can get a brackish tank going for them as they get older. However, there have been reports of people having kept them successfully in freshwater, for a long time. The original post in this thread is one such report. So basically this is my understanding of the matter. The lfs was selling them for 10 dollars each, so I decided to give it a shot.

From looking at pictures online, and the ones in the lfs, I think that what have is one of those species I just discussed (mainly batrachus trispinosis and allenbachus grunniens, which look much alike, but the second is said to be more suited for fw than the other). If you think that these guys are, in fact, a different species altogether, please enlighten me. A solid ID of the fish would, of course, be extremely helpful.

To answer your question, I have them in freshwater. They were caught in freshwater and the store had them in freshwater. Even if I were to go brackish for their sake (which I would consider), it would have to be a slow transition, because as of now they are acclimated to fw.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store