Frontosa compatability with other africans

C L O W N K N I F E

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2011
Plumas Lake, California
Ya, like others have said, its not a very good idea since you have mostly mbuna for the reasons of the mbuna will most likely nip the fins of your frontosa(s) and outcompete the frontosa for food, they're also too robust for the frontosa...I currently have one frontosa growing out with mostly vics, 1 mbuna, 1 peacock, and 1 hap...no problems so far

sun catfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2008
california
yea just like people some times they get along other times they dont only thing is are you willing to risk it lol

m1ste2tea

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2009
Syracuse, NY
I have tried it for a month with my colony of africans and my frontosas did not eat very well, got skinny and I had to seperate them. there was no aggression issues, and my fronts actually started to flare up at the mbuna for no reason, but they just ate too slow and didnt get enough food with the mbuna.

ricomambo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2009
SoCal
www.youtube.com
I have my fronts with various malawi cichilds and they are all thriving. I feed them 3mm NLS pellets and all of them gets a bite every time I throw the pellets in. See video of my tank taken in June 2011. I have them together in the tank for close to 3 years now. If you have enough space and you do not overcrowd, they should be fine. My tank is about 200 gallons.

ricomambo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2009
SoCal
www.youtube.com
Sorry, here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJUNpbhzTn4

I have my fronts with various malawi cichilds and they are all thriving. I feed them 3mm NLS pellets and all of them gets a bite every time I throw the pellets in. See video of my tank taken in June 2011. I have them together in the tank for close to 3 years now. If you have enough space and you do not overcrowd, they should be fine. My tank is about 200 gallons.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
rico - your tank is mostly haps, not mbuna. Also the OP's tank is 60 gallons, not 200.

C L O W N K N I F E

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2011
Plumas Lake, California
rico - your tank is mostly haps, not mbuna. Also the OP's tank is 60 gallons, not 200.
Very true, I don't see a single mbuna in his tank. All I see is mostly haps along with a couple buffalo head cichlids and some other tanganyikans. Nice tank and fish though Rico :)

OOL51

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2011
Australia
I have a Frontosa in with my mix of africans, had it for about 2 years now with no dramas. Has been housed with mbunas since I got it, gets plenty of food and they leave it alone. So it is possible but I also may have gotton lucky

sun catfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2008
california
anything is possible like a convict with mbuna. it can happen but it could also really get ugly. i think the problem comes up when the mbuna have grow to adult size and have gotten meaner then the frontosa but then again i have seen frontosa that are meaner then green terrors. it was at the lfs and the terrors were torn up so just like people ever fish can act different than another

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store