Frontosa types together?

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england
Hi guys,I will soon be getting a group of quality kitumbas and was wondering if I could add.some zaires blues in there or are they the same kind of thing,obviously the Burundi shouldn't be mixed.but what about the other quality ones such as mobas etc,I've only just started getting into these so forgive me if these are stupid questions.

Steve

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england
What I've read so far is that you keep them apart so they are a pure breed,if they breed instead of getting a load of hybrids.

eklikewhoa

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2012
Nha Trang, Vietnam
if you are paying good money for the kitumbas then i would leave them to their own collection point.

there are very slight differences within the zaires but a lot of people are particular about the mixing of them.

swk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2009
Sonoma county
If you want to sell fry for any decent money, then I would not mix them. People will not pay you much, if anything, for fry from a tank with different collection points, even if they're all zaire fish. For example, kitumba and moba. This is a big deal to many dedicated tanganyikan fishkeepers and they will be the ones purchasing your fry. Now, if you aren't looking to sell fry then go for it.

The only other issue that will crop up is when you go to sell the adults at some point. Will you be able to tell them apart well enough for a buyer who is gonna be shelling out some serious cash for a group of kitumba? Does that make sense?

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england
Thanks for the great replies guys that's what I thought I would be told,il keep them as one point then,just incase I want to breed them,I was going to get 1 male and 4 females,il get another female I think or would I be best to do 2M to 4F?

Steve

swk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2009
Sonoma county
2 males would be good insurance in case one of them is a crappy breeder. You may have to keep them seperate if they don't get along

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england
Cool,thanks for the info,I've decided to go for 2 males and 5 females.

Steve

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england
Infact I've gone for 3 males and 9 females lol.
Il put pics on when I get them,just setting the tank up at the moment for them.

Steve

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store