FS 2500 Gallon tank in Las Vegas PU 25,000.00

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubledragon

The House Of Endlie
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
ohio
And you have to keep in mind that bigger tank's command higher prices per gallon.
I mean how many 300g tank's do you see for $300. I would buy them all!!!
My buddys 1000g is over a year old and I know it's worth more than a grand.

Phixer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
CO & CA
FishNcash...I wondered that also as Im not the original author of this post but do agree with most of it. I think his logic is because it is more scratch prone. Perhaps things have changed but I always thought acrylic tanks had a higher re-sale value as well.

Some of these guys selling these things are so far out of touch they just sit. Which is a real waste.

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
Sometimes people say says " I've invested X amount" I don't give a rat's $#@ what they invested. It's used equipment now and will be sold at used equipment price.
Best line of the whole write up. I also find it funny when people include their shipping cost in their investment amount.

Phixer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
CO & CA
How is a used acrylic tank hold a lower resale value than glass?
I prefer acrylic myself, it depreciates faster because most used acrylic tanks up for sale are scratched up. So if you were to take 2 used tanks of the same size both 5 yrs old chances are the acrylic tank would look older than the glass one until someone removes the scratches.

Hom3yboy22

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2013
South Florida
Awesome write up Phixer. A lot of really good points made, but you cant follow your pricing with larger tanks. There should be a formula in place for larger tanks. A kind of compounding formula for prices exponentially increasing in value. Something like Price=(gallons)x(1+ratio of increase for each gallon in decimal form/gallons)^gallons. Something close to that, but you get what I'm saying. You cant calculate a linear amount of increase of $ per gallons, there has to be the compounded amount. Then in the end, multiply a fraction of the total, based on what the condition of the tank is. Say the formula comes out to something like 435 for a 10/10 used 300 gallon aquarium, just simply multiply that by x/10 for the condition of your current tank.

In theory it seems pretty ideal to me. Just need someone with the brains that can think up the proper formula.

Hom3yboy22

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2013
South Florida
I did the math and it seems like my formula works out for just the tank alone, with nothing else included.

Just as an example if you use a 30% resale value at each gallon, the compounding works out kinda fair for larger tanks.

In an example of a 300 gallon tank the formula equals total=300(1+.3/300)^300
Total=300(1.001)^300
Total=300(1.34965647880447)
Total=404.896943641341
in other words $404.90
thats a reasonable price on a 300 gallon tank alone in perfect condition. So the formula seems to work, only thing that should be negotiated is the ratio used.

Does anyone else agree with what Im saying, or am i completely wrong? Don't really know myself, but it has a good shot at working.

now compare that to what you said earlier Phixer if we just found the value linearly, the value of a 300 gallon tank at a 30% resale value per gallon would only bring in 330 dollars. So this still does prove that the value of the tank has to be found using a compounding method.

Phixer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
CO & CA
Duplicate, sorry.

Phixer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
CO & CA
I did the math and it seems like my formula works out for just the tank alone, with nothing else included.

Just as an example if you use a 30% resale value at each gallon, the compounding works out kinda fair for larger tanks.

In an example of a 300 gallon tank the formula equals total=300(1+.3/300)^300
Total=300(1.001)^300
Total=300(1.34965647880447)
Total=404.896943641341
in other words $404.90
thats a reasonable price on a 300 gallon tank alone in perfect condition. So the formula seems to work, only thing that should be negotiated is the ratio used.

Does anyone else agree with what Im saying, or am i completely wrong? Don't really know myself, but it has a good shot at working.

now compare that to what you said earlier Phixer if we just found the value linearly, the value of a 300 gallon tank at a 30% resale value per gallon would only bring in 330 dollars. So this still does prove that the value of the tank has to be found using a compounding method.
Definitely agree with your analysis... Acrylic is a petroleum product and the cost of acrylic fluctuates with the cost of oil, this is more so tied to new tank pricing though. What skews fair pricing for used tanks is when people do not separate intangible factors such as what they paid for it or how much work they put into it, thinking it somehow this justifies the exorbitant asking price. Using a logical process such as yours for aquariums and the Kelly Blue Book for automobiles would bring these tanks into fair market pricing and they would sell faster IMHO. But Im no economist.

FOR NEW TANKS:

The prices custom tank builders charge is ridiculous, especially when you learn what is involved and how crappy most of them build. They cut corners with inferior acrylic and use improper thicknesses. Just like furniture they try to charge solid hardwood prices for disposable particle board... greatly inflated. This is why I started my own shop building custom tanks. Just could not find the quality I wanted.

I find it laughable now when I see a 320 gallon tank with a $6000 price tag, knowing I could build it much thicker for a fraction of that price. It's been kind of a mission for me and a few others to promote the hobby by revealing how this is done thru DIY of these large acrylic aquariums. Hopefully this will drive the prices down if more people DIY. Many people are capable of building a better acrylic tank themselves for a fraction of the cost once they learn how it's done in the industry. Im glad to share how I do it.

Phixer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
CO & CA
The formula for depreciation would need to consider the service life and material condition of the tank. Best to emulate and incorporate pre-existing principles such as used in Kelly Blue book for autos. I really dont see anything wrong with your formula. For acrylic I believe 30% to be fair, however each tanks service life can be altered depending on factors such as how many moves it has endured (increasing propensity for leaks thru weakened bonds) or exposure to UV light (increasing tendency for 2 part polymerizable cements to yellow). Some may chirp about 30% their logic may be equally founded.

I look at factors such as the age of the tank and method of construction. Solvent cement or 2 part cement, how many moves and of course thickness of material. Is crazing evident?

FOR NEW TANKS

The reason I say most tanks are over priced is because after subtracting the cost of materials, the cost of labor is realized. And it's out of this world... totally ridiculous. This is where the scam is, labor cost. At this point cost of labor needs to be compared to industry flat rate. The cost of labor then needs to be factored into the resale equation. The process of building an acrylic tank is not that difficult and in no way justifies the price charged. As in economics though, if people stop paying it the prices will drop.

These costs are passed along for used tanks. Because the original buyer got ripped off they tend to do the same when re-selling the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store