Fungus on my AUL! Help!

Cheesetian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2010
I wondered whether I should post this in the medical section but figured here would better because this isn't just any other fish and only a handful would be able to advise.

IMG_6836.JPG

IMG_6793.JPG

Water parameters are absolutely fine with a pH of about 7.2 consistently. This has been going on for months and I've tried Pimafix to no avail. Recently I've been using EIHO and it seemed to get better but then stopped showing any signs of improvement.

This fish is currently 25" and eats perfectly well. I've had it for quite a few years now and would loathe to lose it to a fungal infection.

Anyone ever encountered this before and if so, any remedies? Thanks!

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I really want to get someone with more experience with lungfish to confirm this is safe. But I have used nitrofurazone to treat fungal infection in pleco colonies and stingrays. Both very sensitive species to many medicines. It is a very mild medicine that is a disinfectant and antimicrobial. It works slowly, and it works from the outside in, not a systemic affect. Thus taking some time. Doesn't crash your bio at all which I also like.

I use it because most everything else is to harsh for rays, cats and plecos. I would assume its safe for a lung but let's google toxicity first. I order mine online at nationalfishpharm

Reactions: vincentwugwg

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
That's an uber rare fish, a gorgeous specimen. Keep that water clean

Did you try this advice from Aquanero years ago on your old thread? did it seem to help?

"I would start with Methylene blue and depending on your water parameters you could add either Triple sulfa or Furan 2 Nitrofurazone/Bifuran. In really stubborn cases Kanamycin could also be used. Start with the Methylene blue first and see how that does. Keep us posted on progress and we can adjust depending on results."

Reactions: clm08k

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Oddball Oddball

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Have you considered contacting Shedd aquarium? they have a handful of these lungs and may be able to help

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
I saw something similar on an African Lungfish while at an aquarium. Then it got me thinking: Lungs will form a protective mucus layering when they think a drought is going to happen. Could this be that protective layering forming?

Either way, please provide and update.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I saw something similar on an African Lungfish while at an aquarium. Then it got me thinking: Lungs will form a protective mucus layering when they think a drought is going to happen. Could this be that protective layering forming?

Either way, please provide and update.
I don't think this would persist so long and only cover a limited area, Although it's not a bad theory I think something else may be at play here...

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Australian Lungfish can't survive complete water depletion like the Africans. They drop to small wet pools but never completely mucus wrap and hibernate dried out like the other lungs. This is a slowly progressing infection IMO likely fungal.

The original thread from 2015 https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...n-my-australian-lungfish.648141/#post-7321574, Tom aka aquarnero gives advice. I don't know if OP did the treatment Tom described and if it worked to any degree or not. I would repeat as that has definitely progressed significantly from the previous pictures and will likely be fatal soon. Please be serious about this letting this progress for years owning such a super rare pet. I've been looking for one for a long time, I hope you're treating right now!

Last edited:

Cheesetian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2010
Australian Lungfish can't survive complete water depletion like the Africans. They drop to small wet pools but never completely mucus wrap and hibernate dried out like the other lungs. This is a slowly progressing infection IMO likely fungal.

The original thread from 2015 https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...n-my-australian-lungfish.648141/#post-7321574, Tom aka aquarnero gives advice. I don't know if OP did the treatment Tom described and if it worked to any degree or not. I would repeat as that has definitely progressed significantly from the previous pictures and will likely be fatal soon. Please be serious about this letting this progress for years owning such a super rare pet. I've been looking for one for a long time, I hope you're treating right now!

Back then the fungus went away on its own. This time it doesn't. But I've dosed Methylene Blue to great effect. As soon as I dosed I noticed the fungus would start to "fall off" the AUL. Within an hour all visible fungus would be gone but the scales would still look raw.

Initially I thought it had recovered fully but a week later the fungus reappeared. So now I'm adding stronger doses and for a prolonged period of treatment time.

Currently no more fungus but scales still look raw.

Thanks for all the concern. I understand how hard a fish this is to obtain and MANY people would die to get their hands on one. I will probably be purchasing a few more towards the end of this month. They'll be <5". All this advice will go a long way in aiding any future health issues. Thanks! Will update periodically on the fungus status.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store