FX4 do you use one and have you made any changes

lifeon2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2012
United States
Hey guys and gals I am looking at an FX4 and I was wondering if anyone that runs one has made any changes to improve the filter? Are you happy with it as is? Has it worked well for you? any recommended accessories? Just looking for some info from folks that have them.

Thanks
Rick

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
works good as is - there are youtube videos on how to enhance it -

probably good for a 75g or lightly stocked 125g

DAM

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2005
Iowa
I replaced all the media with Poret foam--10 ppi in the outer basket, 20 ppi and 30 ppi inside. Clearer water and healthier fish

Reactions: lifeon2

TROK4614

Feeder Fish
Feb 2, 2021
I replaced a filter on my 75gal Hap/Peacock tank with one 5 months ago and have been pleased thus far. The water change feature has proven quite convenient and reduced maintenance time. I eventually see myself replacing the stock ribbed supply/return hoses with something more reinforced for peace of mind and durability but again no issues. I ended up using as many plastic pot scrubbers as I could cram into the two inner media baskets and my water remains super clear despite my sometimes heavy hand at feeding?

RealCrix220

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
I always add filter floss to my FX range, I change the media to bio home plus ( see photo ) I’ve run a FX 5 and 6 using these media as well as sponges that come with them. I do have a FX4 but it’s still in the box waiting to be installed

82F2A33D-2E57-4FD9-8139-3787D67A8994.png

Adamson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
Switzerland
I like it. I don't really know what I would do to modify it, other than pick a different bio-media to put in it.

The plastic clips used to keep the hoses connected to your aquarium suck. I had one snap the day I was installing it. It is fine without it, but still annoying.

Also, I had an O-ring break super early on. I still haven't replaced it because you have to buy like a 20-pack I think and it isn't super cheap. One time it sort of started to flood my kitchen! I was gaming and my wife was like "Umm there is water all over the floor." So 98% of the time it was okay without the O-ring, but that one time was pretty much a disaster.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I have two FX6's. One I use one in a 75g (+ another filter), with no modifications, just smartly positioned outflows, and a mesh prefilter in the intake. The other one is in a 125g (+ another filter), and has a mesh prefilter in the intake, and an aftermarket spray bar instead of the stock outflow. For media in both I use the stock sponges + lots of ceramic noodles.
I have been very pleased with both.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store