FX5 Alternatives???

TankDempsey

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2012
Third rock from the sun
I am planning on setting up a 150 gallon cichlid tank :). I am planning on having a canister as the primary filter, and I like the looks of the FX5 as a filter, but what I am wondering is if there is some kind of similar filter that does the same thing and maybe costs less. I know that Eheim has a similar filter, but i forget what it's called, and I'm not sure if it costs any less or not. Also, if it uses less kwh or more than the FX5 would be good to know.

Also i saw there was a thread comparing the Fluval FX5 and the Eheim filter, i can't find it so if you can refer it to me please do :)

dpete88

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
in the drivers seat
Search the brand aquatop. They have a canister that I like better than the fluval and it comes with a built in UV sterilizer. Plus Kay less than half the cost. You could get two aquatop cf 550s (I think that's the model number) for the price of one fluval fx5

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TankDempsey

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2012
Third rock from the sun
Search the brand aquatop. They have a canister that I like better than the fluval and it comes with a built in UV sterilizer. Plus Kay less than half the cost. You could get two aquatop cf 550s (I think that's the model number) for the price of one fluval fx5

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I assume you're talking about the 500 version?

digidat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2011
Madison
get an eheim 2262 and you won't regret it, just put all your media into mesh bags and then get a tetra pond course filter and you're set, easy to clean up and definitely a lot more biomedia room

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
2262 on ebay =399.99$
fx5 w/ media+sponges on ebay=239$

Fx5 has better flowrate but the 2262 has some intense features and better bio filtration but gph and mech filtration+ simplicity cant beat fx5.

I used to have a xp4 and i thought that was good but man the fx5 flows serious water.

#1 S. Vettel

digidat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2011
Madison
2262 on ebay =399.99$
fx5 w/ media+sponges on ebay=239$

Fx5 has better flowrate but the 2262 has some intense features and better bio filtration but gph and mech filtration+ simplicity cant beat fx5.

I used to have a xp4 and i thought that was good but man the fx5 flows serious water.

#1 S. Vettel
trust me i have had and still currently own fx5s and eheim 2260/62, the eheim will do a better job, the pump output on the eheim 2262 is 900gph so the fx5 which i think has 925 gph? doesn't make much of a difference, and when looking for water quality mech filtration doesn't matter as much as bio filtration, and besides you DON'T NEED that much mech filtration, my tetra pond filter 2" course pad is doing great and keeps my water crystal clear and i just put it ontop of everything else, easy to rinse if needed, but with the fx5s you have to deal with all those baskets which is a pain in the butt..

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I have 2 fx5 currently after being sick of other insufficient filters. Cleaning is easy and super nice with them pads are cheap. Amazon. Hold lots of media. I wrote a review you could look it up. I say fx5 you will not be disappointed

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store