FX5 or sump for 75gallon tank

dayak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2010
sacramento
the only downside with sump pump as far as i notice..it takes a person with knowledge to figure out to work the sump-pump properly and it will only takes a person who can read to set up a canister filter :p
which one r you?

oakes

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2009
Lynchburg, VA
I'd say I'm both, this tank has both been run with the FX5 and the sump at different times of course. The pump for my sump system is a quietone 4000, while I have used a 3000 as well. I'm currently plumping up the sump to this system, I'll keep y'all updated!

I do appreciate all the input as I have used both sumps and canisters on all sizes of tanks I do not mind the maintenance of either, I just believe sumps are easier to maintain even though mine might not be designed well, but I'll figure out a way to get it working the way I want..Speaking of which I got some PVC to glue together!!!

aaronb

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2011
Cawker City, KS
I agree with creepyoldguy on everything except the cleaning. I don't find maintenance on any over canisters annoying at all including my fx5. I actually find really simple and quick. In comparison a sump is simpler to clean. I would recommend a sump though on almost any tank though. If for no other reason the feeling of accomplishment of building something is worth it. I'm not even sure why the OP ask this question considering he has used both on the same tank and has them, so he's really the best person to answer the question. My only concern that would make me recommend the fx5 is the location of the holes. If I remember right they were a little low with no overflows, so I'd only be concerned about a sump overflow.

creepyoldguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2010
fishbelly
Aaronb I agree! I guess on a tank such as this the maintenance on a canister would be less frequent but more of a hassle. The sump would mean more cleaning and less hassle w the socks. I also agree w the accomplishment of building your own!

reptileguy2727

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Northern Virginia
When media is clogged in a sump the water just goes around it, not being filtered. Except this happens much easier in a sump since it is open and there is always an easy way to bypass media. Unlike a canister, which wouldn't lose flow if the bypass was as bad as sumps (not to mention that the maintenance should be more frequent than waiting for the flow to decrease, so it should bever be an issue).

YOU found sumps to be a better option, that is not a fact, it is your opinion based on your experience. My experience says the opposite. Good thing this is a forum and we can both share our opinions and let people decide what sounds best to them.

creepyoldguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2010
fishbelly
On an fx5, the water enters the canister at the top and flows down the outside, and then is pulled up through the center, leaving the finer mech last, which would cause lack of flow. Anyone who has had a canister will tell you the flow slows down, and faster w finer mech. The pump in a sump never loses flow regardless of how clogged or dirty the filter sock or drip tray, and if the bio ever never needs rinsed it's minimal co après to the maintanence of a canister

In any case, the fx5 will do the job on this tank but anyone w experience building a sump will tell you that sumps are always a better option due to their larger space for media, flexibility for media, cost and ease of maintanence

creepyoldguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2010
fishbelly
And I had success w both canisters and sumps, but the pros of a sump are far greater than a canister. Not to mention I hate all the cords and other junk hangin all over the back of my tank. That stuff can ruin the looks of a show tank.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
LoL, If it were me, I would just use an AC110

No filter type is "always" the better option. Just use whatever suites you and your situation best.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store