FX5 vs 2 aquaclear 110 vs 2 emperor 500

teqvet

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
SE
On my 125g I run 2 xp3 and an ac110. The xp3s used to gunk real bad over 4 weeks time. I switched my mechanical in the ac110 from sponge to sponge plus pillow batting. The xp3s no longer gunk up and can go 8 weeks without needing a full service, but I change the batting out of the 110 every 2 days. I fully service the ac110 once a week and alternate the xp3s, so 1 is cleaned each month.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
You could always go for the 2262...harleyk cleans his like once a yesr

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
The filter clogs because I changed my rhoms diet from frozen fish to pellets. Since he went on pellets he poops a crazy amount. Before I could go 3-4 months without servicing.

fobrinkle

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2008
Michigan
I run two AC 110's on my 90's with single large FH's in them. They are easy to clean, quiet and imo the only way to go with hang ons. I've used canisters too but only on larger tanks. I would go with the 110's on your 75.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I have an emporer 500, ac110, aquatop cf500uv, 3 powerheads, and a massive pile of pothos filtering my 180. My water quality is almost always pristine in spite of massive feedings for my two gar, and Polypterus collection.

Ac110 are excellent filters. Mine has at least 3x more gph than my emporer, and its silent. The emporer is loud, especially after it has been cut off and back on. I would replace it but I'm upgrading my tank, and funneling all of my money into the new project.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
If I was to change out the FX5 I would feel like it would have been a real waste of a buy. Maybe I will get an AC110 and see if that helps. I was hoping to buy a large tank and go with a sump, but not sure that is going to happen now. I would love to put a sump on my 75g but don't want to drill the tank and have read too many bad things about sumps on non-drilled tanks.

Is there a safe way to do a sump on a non-drilled tank?

If I was to change out the FX5 I would feel like it would have been a real waste of a buy. Maybe I will get an AC110 and see if that helps. I was hoping to buy a large tank and go with a sump, but not sure that is going to happen now. I would love to put a sump on my 75g but don't want to drill the tank and have read too many bad things about sumps on non-drilled tanks.

Is there a safe way to do a sump on a non-drilled tank?
Not that I know of. I know there are automatic ways to re-prime a siphon, but how can you trust that?

The only way I know of is an internal sump:

[video=youtube;omx9O6wB60c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omx9O6wB60c[/video]

Rhomadeas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2013
Belleville, ON, Canada
Are you using the backwash feature of the FX5? Go through the manual and use this procedure when you do your water changes; it will backwash the gunk out and you won't have to open so much. My 15" rhom didn't eat pellets but this is what I did. Also, don't over-tighten the knobs holding the filter together. Plastic isn't made for a load of force. Tighten it in a pattern like you tighten the wheel on your car and it should seal with minimal force.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
The problem with the gunk is that it gets stuck on the blue filter pad. I literally had 1/2in off poop covering the entire filter floss. The backflush will not help with that. Ive stopping tightening the bolts very tight but those things are just cheap.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store