Fx5 ??

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
I get all my ceramoc rings from fishtankfactory aka charlie chim. Takes around 10lbs +/- 1lb to fill all 3 trays.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Takes 6 500g boxes to fill all three trays. Waste of money IMO don't need that much and there are other cheaper as effective options.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Not to derail this, but is the pond matrix as effective as the ceramic rings? I have a spare FX5 in my back room, and I was thinking of doing the same thing: making it a purely biological filter.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Denser the bio media the more gph your going to sacrifice, idk what kind of bio load you have atm but 3 full trays of bio provides enough room for 'ba-gillions' of bb colonies, which i dont think is 100% necessary but that all depends on how much you like flow (gph)

Its always good to have extra bio but this seems a little much, and after 9 months my bio max starting breaking down, i started finding little chunks of it at the bottom and bio max sand, i ditched it all and replaced with api chem stars which are made for canisters and never break down (media in cans are constantly subjected to violent shaking, spinning, basically like a washing machine) they also allow more flow, top 3 products in the aquarium world ime.

Btw 2 bags fill one tray, but a tray of chem stars would suffice for just about anything. You wanna go balls out buy 6 bags.

Go S.Vettel #1 RB8 3X WDC!!!!!!!!!

women?! pleeze. you're like one of my grandsons. I can't even visualize you thattaway, it's just wrong.
I forgot all about NLS.

you might wanna cut back on your jet fuel intake.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?504763-Cheap-plants-less-nitrate!-POTHOS

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Ok I need to know what is the best bio media to put in all 3 trays. I hear pond matrix, bio max and know API chem stars. Which do I choose!!!!!!????? I was kinda thing 6x bio max and some pond matrix on top of it or ???

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Matrix is very dense and not designed specifically for canisters unlike api chem stars which last forever. Although matrix is a great bio media imo its better suited for sumps, wetdry, hob etc.

Bio max wont last forever, so replacing them eventually is necessary.

women?! pleeze. you're like one of my grandsons. I can't even visualize you thattaway, it's just wrong.
I forgot all about NLS.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?504763-Cheap-plants-less-nitrate!-POTHOS

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Denser the bio media the more gph your going to sacrifice, idk what kind of bio load you have atm but 3 full trays of bio provides enough room for 'ba-gillions' of bb colonies, which i dont think is 100% necessary but that all depends on how much you like flow (gph)

Its always good to have extra bio but this seems a little much, and after 9 months my bio max starting breaking down, i started finding little chunks of it at the bottom and bio max sand, i ditched it all and replaced with api chem stars which are made for canisters and never break down (media in cans are constantly subjected to violent shaking, spinning, basically like a washing machine) they also allow more flow, top 3 products in the aquarium world ime.

Btw 2 bags fill one tray, but a tray of chem stars would suffice for just about anything. You wanna go balls out buy 6 bags.
:confused: What exactly are you doing with your canister filters?

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Lol. No i meant inside the canister the pressure and flow makes the media inside shake around and tumble hence why some break down over time.

Bad wording sorry :-D

I forgot all about NLS.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Ok so il get the API chem stars. For the 3 trays how many will I need.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
6 bags will do.

http://www.bigalspets.com/bio-chem-stars-20-pk.html

I forgot all about NLS.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store