g tile on hunger strike

crisper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2008
over there boi
Concerned about my moray eel. As of late it has not been eating.Previosly it use to eat shrimp and krill now it won't eat at all. It is housed in my 135g brackish SG 0.16. Tank mates monos scats and columbians.All water parameters check ok. Any ideas on what's up.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
any signs of abrasions or injuries on it? their so easily damaged, it could be stressing it out

SalmonAfrica

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2008
South Africa
I wonder if it may be linked to the fact that these fish eventually become high-brackish/marine fish as they grow? I've noticed that juveniles in freshwater won't eat, so maybe try raising the salinity a bit.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Salinity is plenty high. Mine have always been kept in Brackish so low it won't register on a hydrometer.

Morays are known for hunger strikes.

Try offering it smelt or silversides.

crisper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2008
over there boi
No sign of injury the eel should'nt be stressed out. Same tankmates for months nothing has changed still hides in the same cave.Just won't come out to eat.Will try some different foods.How long can they go without food without any problems.It's already been like a week.This thing use to hit shrimp like nuts.

HX67

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Up over
Hi. My G tile was on hunger strike for about a month and a half last winter. I was very worried for it.
But in the end it didn't seem to suffer too much. It was not overly thin after that time and ended up eating again.

I found some reports stating that G tile needs alteration in salinity to keep eating without an occasional strike. Could'n confirm them, though. I did try it myself at about a mont or so, but noticed no immediate impact.

If yours has been eating well and is healthy, you don't have to worry for a while. My 2c.

Daeorn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2007
NY
Don't worry about it, just periodically check on him to make sure he's healthy.

Mine didn't eat for nearly a month of two. Now he's back to eating well.

It just happens. For some reason I guess they just fill up and go on strike for awhile.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store