Gar Acting Weird

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
check the instructions of the med.

check if it affects your bio filtration and the water changes you will nedd to do afterwards.

anyway, I would wait on treatment if fish are better. It might have been too warm water, eventually not very well oxygenated.

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
check the instructions of the med.

check if it affects your bio filtration and the water changes you will nedd to do afterwards.

anyway, I would wait on treatment if fish are better. It might have been too warm water, eventually not very well oxygenated.
I have used this treatment before and you have to remove carbon and not do water changes. I was thinking it wasn't well oxygenated but before I had gars I had 6 stingrays, three had discs above 10 inches wide with the same set up without any problems, and the gars aren't taking breaths more than usual, they aren't taking a lot of breaths at all actually.

The odd behavior continued and when I went back to the shop that sold me the gars, the gars also showed the same behavior. I have begun treatment, hopefully they will get better, unfortunately I'm going away until the 14th so it isn't great timing! But after leaving the fish alone for most of the summer, I think they'll be alright.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
I'm not a huge fan of medication in fish tanks. Like Miguel hinted at, if done even slightly improperly the BB of your aquarium could be also killed leading to spikes of ammonia. This is why I also try a good amount of salt first and that never seems to fail.

In any case I would add an aerator to help the fish by having excess amounts of O2 in the water because having medication in the water could be stressful on them.

Good luck though! Hope it works out.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
I'm not a huge fan of medication in fish tanks. Like Miguel hinted at, if done even slightly improperly the BB of your aquarium could be also killed leading to spikes of ammonia. This is why I also try a good amount of salt first and that never seems to fail.

In any case I would add an aerator to help the fish by having excess amounts of O2 in the water because having medication in the water could be stressful on them.

Good luck though! Hope it works out.

I got home today and now all the gars are doing it. How does the salt treatment work? What should I do to cure the tank?

Again, all gars seem to be using their lower jaw in order to pass water over their gills. Some gars do it more than others, no unusual amounts of breaths are being taken or not taken.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Salt kills the parasites that I am just assuming are present.

ekaj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2014
northern wi
my gar gulped air for like the first week. still does it during water changes. make sure there is clean water, they seem to breath easier in calm, clear water with no particles floating around. let it sit in the dark, I notice when the fluorescents go off, mine calms down quite a bit.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Gars will come up to the top of the water and "gulp" air. It looks like they are nipping the surface of the water.

To preform the treatment get the salt and follow the directions. If I remember correctly it is around 2 tbps per gallon but that could be wrong and if possible raise the heat and add O2.

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
The salt you buy in Thailand comes in a clear plastic bag with 20 baht written on it.

Do you know how to perform it or is there a resource I can reference?

Can anyone else please help me?

jpcampbell123

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2011
In the water
I once treated a 75 gallon with half a cup of salt it all depends on the size of the tank per amount. also too i would add it sometimes during the water changes it helped calm them too i did ro water changes on all of my tanks i used to use dechlorinator till i got a hold of a bad batch of it and while it didnt kill the gars it made them have holes in their tail fins so I quit using it. Also too have seen two friends lose all of their fish cause of bad dechlorinator.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store