Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
Mercury2234;3797299; said:
Here what mine eats:

-KFC (they go nuts for the colonel)
-McD (Big Mac's, they hate that healthy crap)
-TACO BELL (their favorite = Volcano Taco)

Just kidding... thats me!

Heres what they eat...
-Frozen Tilapia
-Frozen Shrimp
-Frozen Krills
-Night Crawlers
-Live Ghost Shrimps
-Live Minnows (once a month treat)

Currently breeding some Convicts, and will feed them once a month type of deal...
we had a guy on here that fed KFC to his gar
didnt we spatula?:D

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
greengiant;3769467; said:
hey guys I have an Alligator gar and he won't touch anything that isn't self propelled. I have tried shrimp and tilapia as well as pellets and no luck. feeders he goes nuts over but won't touch anything else. it hasn't seemed to harm him as he is now about 3ft long and growing like crazy but what have you done to have success getting them to eat dead or pellet food?
I have the same trouble as you do. I have two alligator and one long nose and none of the three touch anything that is not self propelled. The tankmates (oscar, red bay snook, clown loach & albino channel cat) eat pellet, thawed tilapia, catfish, gulf shrimp, bloodworm, silverside, live earthworm.

Not one time by accident has any of the three gar given me anything of an indication that any of the aforementioned foods represent anything that can be misconstrued for "their" diet.

I went over 1 week with no live feeders fish and still none of the three batted an eye!

I think we need fish hypnotism for our picky gars! :nilly:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store