Gar help

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Tom500;2696710; said:
Oh ok, so how come it doesnt bother any of my other fish? do gars taste extra nice lol?
that is a good question, but it does happen that way. it may be that the gars are a bit more passive at times, or when they are more sedentary on the bottom of the tank. that and gar are slimier than many other fishes, so it may just be something more appealing to the catfishes/proch. either way, it's not a good combo/worth the risk as it only takes one bad case of slime sucking that can lead to a fatal infection (and these infections are usually untreatable) --
--solomon

Tom500

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 14, 2008
Halifax, UK!!!
E_americanus;2697592; said:
that is a good question, but it does happen that way. it may be that the gars are a bit more passive at times, or when they are more sedentary on the bottom of the tank. that and gar are slimier than many other fishes, so it may just be something more appealing to the catfishes/proch. either way, it's not a good combo/worth the risk as it only takes one bad case of slime sucking that can lead to a fatal infection (and these infections are usually untreatable) --
--solomon

I will be sure to move it if i get a gar, thanks a lot for the advice.:D

Austin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2005
it's all fish dependant. i've got a buddy with a 12" flagtail in his monster community with 2 spotted and had no problems. so yes, it is a risk but also fish dependant...imo

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Austin;2697614; said:
it's all fish dependant. i've got a buddy with a 12" flagtail in his monster community with 2 spotted and had no problems. so yes, it is a risk but also fish dependant...imo
agreed that a lot of these guidelines are fish-dependent...there is really not absolute scenario where every case fits the general pattern. however, if we don't comment about the general trends, risks, and patterns, then we may as well not give any advice at all. it's better to follow the rules as opposed to the rare exceptions (depending on how much you want to risk your fishes i suppose) --
--solomon

Austin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2005
E_americanus;2697670; said:
agreed that a lot of these guidelines are fish-dependent...there is really not absolute scenario where every case fits the general pattern. however, if we don't comment about the general trends, risks, and patterns, then we may as well not give any advice at all. it's better to follow the rules as opposed to the rare exceptions (depending on how much you want to risk your fishes i suppose) --
--solomon
i agree completely, wasn't trying to come across argumentative. you are much more knowledgable than myself, especially in the gar catagory :D

Tom500;2697681; said:
Depends how many spare tanks you have lol
HA! exactly! :grinno:

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Austin;2697706; said:
i agree completely, wasn't trying to come across argumentative. you are much more knowledgable than myself, especially in the gar catagory :D

HA! exactly! :grinno:
hey austin,

no problem...i meant to come across as agreeing with you (as i do agree with your statement), just wanted to provide reasoning as to why we should pay attention to general rules as opposed to exceptions.

gotta love the fact that keeping predatory fishes is part science, part art, and part luck!--
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store