Gar ID game!

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
channarox;2299585; said:
i honestly cant tell them apart by just looking at that part of the head.
so im just going to take a guess,in order,
longnose,
fl/spotted,
shortnose
and fl/spotted.
I think you will be VERY surprised by the correct answers. This truly shows how color/pattern should not be a primary factor in IDing a fish.

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
demjor19;2300384; said:
I think you will be VERY surprised by the correct answers. This truly shows how color/pattern should not be a primary factor in IDing a fish.
so what are the correct answers?
could the last one be a trop?

KaraJo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
NE Ohio
channarox;2300397; said:
so what are the correct answers?
could the last one be a trop?

Ok, on to my point. The first fish is obviously the longnose. The last one is a Florida/Spotted. In my opinion with these 4 examples, the florida/spotted looks the least like the longnose pattern-wise. The middle two are both of the tropical gar at different times of day, under different lighting, etc. Same fish, but it shows how the picture can be decieving. IMO, the longnose and the first picture of the tropical look the most alike, and these fish couldn't be more different when it comes to gar species. So in this example, you would say the longnose looks most like the tropical gar, pattern-wise just by looking at that small section of the fish. Pretty deceiving. So yeah, I think we all get it how color and pattern aren't good indicators.

And with the yellow fish, i figured I trick you up a little. He is a good example also that color doesnt always tell you species. This fish is a Florida/Spotted that Jordan and I used to own.

Now I think it is someone else's turn to post one up!

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
KaraJo;2301855; said:
Ok, on to my point. The first fish is obviously the longnose. The last one is a Florida/Spotted. In my opinion with these 4 examples, the florida/spotted looks the least like the longnose pattern-wise. The middle two are both of the tropical gar at different times of day, under different lighting, etc. Same fish, but it shows how the picture can be decieving. IMO, the longnose and the first picture of the tropical look the most alike, and these fish couldn't be more different when it comes to gar species. So in this example, you would say the longnose looks most like the tropical gar, pattern-wise just by looking at that small section of the fish. Pretty deceiving. So yeah, I think we all get it how color and pattern aren't good indicators.

And with the yellow fish, i figured I trick you up a little. He is a good example also that color doesnt always tell you species. This fish is a Florida/Spotted that Jordan and I used to own.

Now I think it is someone else's turn to post one up!
wow.
didnt even think that those were trops since i couldnt see the whole head.
yea,i guess patterns arent the best way to tell.
was that fl/spotted always that yellow?

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
Polypterus;2302002; said:
You can not ID gar properly on pieces alone.. Thats retarded...
Kind of the reason I'm not posting in this thread...
thanks for pointing that out, the thread has not gone in the way i intended. it's not meant to be a mindless guessing game.

the objective of the game might be to guess the species. but that's not the intended point of the game. you guys are making too much effort to keep the ID of the gar in qn a secret. it's more about sharing tips on Iding different species based on some of their behaviour patterns, distinctive morphological structures and distinctive patterns. eg; long snout, stritations on the tail etc. and not patterns that is commonly found across all gar species.

in other words, giving, guessing and correcting the clues is the more important thing in the game.

KaraJo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
NE Ohio
xander13;2303607; said:
thanks for pointing that out, the thread has not gone in the way i intended. it's not meant to be a mindless guessing game.

the objective of the game might be to guess the species. but that's not the intended point of the game. you guys are making too much effort to keep the ID of the gar in qn a secret. it's more about sharing tips on Iding different species based on some of their behaviour patterns, distinctive morphological structures and distinctive patterns. eg; long snout, stritations on the tail etc. and not patterns that is commonly found across all gar species.

in other words, giving, guessing and correcting the clues is the more important thing in the game.
The point of the game was understood and the 4 gar posted were not really part of the game, just to show how you can't say that "Oh, I can tell that's a longnose by the pattern." that is not an effective way of IDing....to be honest, any clue you give is either going to be too broad, or too easy to get. You can tell locality, and you likely know what species it is. Mix this with another "fun fact" and its almost certain you know, so pictures arent really even needed....

Like I can say, "I am from Florida andd I am probably the most common gar found in aquaria, what species am I?" Almost certain, everyone would know....

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
KaraJo;2303806; said:
The point of the game was understood and the 4 gar posted were not really part of the game, just to show how you can't say that "Oh, I can tell that's a longnose by the pattern." that is not an effective way of IDing....to be honest, any clue you give is either going to be too broad, or too easy to get. You can tell locality, and you likely know what species it is. Mix this with another "fun fact" and its almost certain you know, so pictures arent really even needed....

Like I can say, "I am from Florida andd I am probably the most common gar found in aquaria, what species am I?" Almost certain, everyone would know....
very true.......

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
KaraJo;2303806; said:

Agree 100%. With any bit of accurate information this game really is neither much of a challenge nor a learning tool. There are only 7 true species of gar no matter how complicated you want to try making it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store