Gar ID Quiz

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
E_americanus;3753425; said:
**spotteds generally have a longer snout than Florida gars; by the logic you have stated in question #2 it should not be an option if the snout is too short to be a Florida gar.

that's true, it's a good one...i think a good clue is that these are xander's fish and xander's tank :)

--solomon
good point bout the gars snout!!
and i still cant believe nobody knows the bonus!

Death Pony

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
**spotteds generally have a longer snout than Florida gars; by the logic you have stated in question #2 it should not be an option if the snout is too short to be a Florida gar.

--solomon
I thought I got them mixed up. :irked:

Death Pony

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;3753400; said:
ahhhh, i want to answer!!

and again, no one has guessed the answer to the bonus!
Wait, is it the coloration of the Cuban facing away from the camera?

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
what about it?

aidenb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
Canada
1- alligator
2-Florida
4-cuban, Florida
5 Cuban

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
thanks for guessing everyone! most of you were right, i guess im too predictable...:(

well since the quiz was easier than expected...

gator- from this pic, id trait would be blotchy pattern.

florida gar

group shot- florida, gator, cuban, florida, cuban

bonus- the cuban under the florida has a dark colourations, usually a sign that the fish is stressed.

anyone want to take a shot at typical cuban stressors?

i can't figure out why thou, the two other cubans i have have been fine for months. however, this is my newest cuban and was severly starved before i bought it, perhaps it's still not completly recovered?

cuban- very broad snout, much stockier body. florida- mid sized gape & overall less stocky body-indication of lepisosteus species, you can deduce florida from ruling out longnose & spotted by width of snout, and shortnose by 'other' qualities.:grinno:(i do believe we'll get a chance to discuss it soon)

cuban-colour(duh) & stritation markings on the tail. when i get my sunburst trop x cuban cross im gonna mind trick all of you...:grinno:[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
Death Pony;3753155; said:
Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

1. Alligator gar- There's something about their eyes... Not to mention the snout.
2. Spotted gar- The snout is too short to be a Florida
3. Vertebrae injury just behind the skull
4. Cuban ad Spotted- No other gar but Cubans have that color
5. Cuban- Color is a dead giveaway
if i had a feeder between them that line would have made perfect (and pretty funny) sense:ROFL:

regarding the red highlight, you couldn't have gotten that from that image:grinno:, but yes, the cuban(darker one), as i stated earlier still displays the results of starvation, and there's a 'dent' in the neck right behind the skull. i'm hoping it'll one day regrow. what'd u guys think?

lep plat'll be posting round 2 in a bit, stay tuned!(i think he has more confusing species than i do, need to start bugging my importer i guess:naughty:)

thanks for taking part in this guys

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
i'll bet thats an alligator gar since i know of no croc gars in singapore.
then theres two florida gar (most common species available,and not spotteds).
that last pic is a cuban gar's caudal.

edit:
oh snap i didnt read the second page...

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
Death Pony;3753155; said:
Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

1. Alligator gar- There's something about their eyes... Not to mention the snout.
2. Spotted gar- The snout is too short to be a Florida
3. Vertebrae injury just behind the skull
4. Cuban ad Spotted- No other gar but Cubans have that color
5. Cuban- Color is a dead giveaway

that's true, it's a good one...i think a good clue is that these are xander's fish and xander's tank :)

--solomon

I was gonna point out that spotteds generally have longer snouts that florida's, but Sol beat me to it!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store