Gar Identification - Post your Gar to be ID'd HERE!!

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Perhaps somebody turned it in.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
It's definitely a Florida gar.

I don't know about Pet Supplies Plus, but Jack's Aquarium and Pets (similar chain with locations mainly in OH) can get Florida gar, "alligator" gar (most likely overpriced Florida gars), silver arowana, jardini arowana, various bichirs, sturgeon :)WHOA:), and other monster fish. I actually purchased my first silver arowana from them (it lasted a whole week unfortunately :(). I've also been in a local Pet Supplies Plus and noticed tags for silver arowana and various bichirs, so I wouldn't put it past that chain to occasionally get gars.

jimus1219

Feeder Fish
Dec 7, 2010
Indianna
Wiggles92;4910673; said:
It's definitely a Florida gar. It's pretty easy to tell that it's not a false gar from the fins, scales, snout, and overall body shape.
Ya your right Florida Gar. Had to do a side by side but ya he's a Florida.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
Yourshado;4910646; said:
thanx guys,damn those house of tropicals bastard they got me again :( whats the growth rate on these guys
Expect it to be between 9" and 12" by the time it's a year old and around 16" by the time it's two years old. It will grow fairly slowly after this point; it shouldn't get any longer than 24" in the end.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
E_americanus;4910258; said:
Florida gar, i think the curvature is from the photo, not the fish itself. it's a scary day when pet supplies plus is bringing in gars...not sure what to think about that. either way, nice find!--
--solomon
Well ya know I got a Sterlet from a Walmart once.... Crazier things have happened.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store