Gar in a pond

himustache2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
Hello Everyone

I'm planning to keep a Gar in my outdoor pond but I wanted to make sure they will be fine being in the pond all year. I live and Northern VA so the temperature at lowest has been 15 degrees Fahrenheit (-9 Celsius) . Also I heard that the Gars need for the top of the pond open so they can breath. Is that true?

Thanks

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Hello Everyone

I'm planning to keep a Gar in my outdoor pond but I wanted to make sure they will be fine being in the pond all year. I live and Northern VA so the temperature at lowest has been 15 degrees Fahrenheit (-9 Celsius) . Also I heard that the Gars need for the top of the pond open so they can breath. Is that true?

Thanks
Pond should have a open area for gas expansion.
In your location the best species of gar would be long nose, you need a big pond for them tho.
Bowfins, black crappie,walleye, bluegill,and yellow perch are other options.

Marcus124

Feeder Fish
Jun 21, 2018
Hey guys and gals does anyone know the temp range for alligator gar or even long nose gar I’m looking at keeping one or two in my pond I’m located in the UK though

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Hey guys and gals does anyone know the temp range for alligator gar or even long nose gar I’m looking at keeping one or two in my pond I’m located in the UK though
Longnose do fine in cold temps, being one of the most cold hardy gars

Marcus124

Feeder Fish
Jun 21, 2018
well as the import laws changed in 2016 :( it looks like Cuban or alligator gars are my only option and im guessing these are tropical

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store