Gar just took shrimp!

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Yup not a real gar. It's a characin. Don't know species name but they are labeled as needle nose gars.

Nonetheless good job! Now just wait till he takes one of the bottom of the tank. One my Florida did that I was so excited

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
That's not a characin. Its from Asia. There are no characins in Asia.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
not sure who, what, when or where it was decided they where best in the "Other Characin" are but likely because their habits and needs are very similar to most other predatory tetras ect and less like the true gar they more so look like. That and most experiances mixing these 2 brackets off fish ='ed fatalities.. so to keep confusion to a min I think they decides them best in different sub-forums..

personally I don't really care =) but I think because they use to be lumped here people would keep arguing that they where true gar... when they most deffinately are not. and their care and husbandry is much more closely related to a lot of the ATF's, Payara's, Scombs, ect... they where decided to be settled there ( what little I know about those fish while looking very dissimilar seem to share very similar care/husbandry needs. )

CoryWentland

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2012
Minnesota
They are just the freshwater version of marine Needlefish, it's hard to classify them into freshwater groups, considering that their family tree is made up of the marine species of needlefish. Needlefish are, well, needlefish, not characins, nor gars, but there care is very identical to that of a characin if you were to compare them to the "freshwater world".

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
That's not a characin. Its from Asia. There are no characins in Asia.
oh im sorry for saying false information. I thought it was:confused:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store