Gar newbie

lakiboymaya

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Gars are one of the best fish for me.. I have a spotted gar and it's growing fast. There's only two problems in keeping a gar, 1st - budget (a lot of money) in terms of feeding and 2nd - space, really needs a LOT of space.. If you can provide these 2 things then you're good to go.. Goodluck MONSTER FISH lovers!!

siôn.griffin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I'd say buy one now, and if you encounter any problems contact people on this website. That is, after all, what this website is for, right?
Good luck.

NocturnalX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2010
Monster House
i got my gar.
thanks for all the advices guys,
and wish me luck :)

he seems to be fine right now, he's around 4-5 inches right now.
and he's already ate lots of feeders, so i know he's going to grow large soon.
gonna have to prepare a larger tank.

Younglin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
34-24-36
Feeders = parasites.

Tom LoFaro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2010
11704 NY
Younglin;4565934; said:
Feeders = parasites.
Not always, but it is likely to happen. It is a really bad habit to only feed your fish feeders, unless they are home bred. Get into a habit of switching up the foods, you can buy frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, and they have a wide variety of pellets that are a lot less costly than buying live food. Also that 20g long won't hold the gar for long.. lol. You'll need to get progressively bigger tanks to keep your Gar happy. If the tank is too small it could stunt his growth which can lead to death. In the end, for a 20" Gar to be happy, you'd probably need a 75g minimum. The bigger the better. Search Craig's list for good local deals

NocturnalX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2010
Monster House
lol good news is i can build a pond for him so no worries about the tank size.
or i can just simply get a bigger tank when he grows bigger.

i got a gator gar by the way.
gator gars are my favorite gars, but i wasn't really supposed to get a gator.
i doubt it's recommended for first timers like me.
but when i saw their condition on the pet shop.. i'm just happy to have saved at least one.

there were like more than 10 5"-6" gator gars in a tank that is most likely a 10 gallon

Younglin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
34-24-36
A bit of advice.
1) only feed him feeders occasionally. Unless you want him to get parasites. Feed him pellets, frozen foods etc.
2) Keep up with the water changes, gator gars are extremely messy and poop a lot.
3) Make sure you upgrade when you need to.

NocturnalX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2010
Monster House
@Younglin
thank you for the tips.

i have a question though, because i noticed that most experienced gar(or any fish) keepers usually advice to not feed feeders all the time, because of parasites. and some posts says that it's because most feeders are not taken care off properly.

then, if i get another tank and raise my own feeders and take care of them properly, would it be a good idea?

Younglin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
34-24-36
then, if i get another tank and raise my own feeders and take care of them properly, would it be a good idea?
That would be okay but for a balanced diet they need more than feeders.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
NocturnalX;4569511; said:
@Younglin
thank you for the tips.

i have a question though, because i noticed that most experienced gar(or any fish) keepers usually advice to not feed feeders all the time, because of parasites. and some posts says that it's because most feeders are not taken care off properly.

if you get another tank and raise your own feeders on a high-quality diet, then you should be ok. keep in mind this means keeping them on that diet for at least a month or two before feeding them to your fish, and this would also serve as quarantine. if you started breeding your own feeders, such as convicts or livebearers, you would be able to skip the quarantine once you started raising the progeny.

variety with feed is a good thing, but if you raised your feeders on something like New Life Spectrum or similar high-quality food, then you would be in good shape.

keep in mind this takes time and added resources. you could easily get fresh or frozen whole fish and put pellets inside the fish and then feed those to your gar, this way you wouldn't have to worry about maintaining an entirely separate tank and system--
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store