mid right: florida

lower right: florida

lower left: short nose

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
I'm starting to think the top right gar might just be a gator... hmm...

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
Here's what I think they are:
Top left: Longnose
Top right: Alligator
Right lower: Florida
Right lowest: Spotted
Bottom left: Shortnose

Reasoning:

1. Longnose-- snout is about two times as long as the head; body is very thin
  2. Alligator-- snout appears to be both short and broad; body is quite robust
  3. Florida and Spotted-- these two were really a toss-up, but I decided that the one was a Florida because it had a shorter and broader snout in comparison to the other which appears to have a longer and slightly narrower snout.
  4. Shortnose-- snout is fairly short in comparison to the longnose, spotted, and Florida; body lacks major amount of spotting
  5. These gar appear to match the gar that are part of the Gar-den, so it was possible to deduce which gar were which; hopefully my observation proves correct.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
some good guesses so far everyone! i'll leave it up for at least another day and will plan on posting the answers on Saturday.

here's a "clue" :

the photo is indeed one taken of the gar-den...but consider that we don't necessarily know WHEN it was taken :) --
--solomon

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
im going to take a guess on one particular fish..the one on the bottom left corner. going with shortnose gar. :D

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Wiggles92;4291009; said:
Hmm, not knowing when the picture of the gar-den was taken definitely changes things. Now that you mentioned that, I noticed another gar tail below the gar I think is a shortnose. My answers may change now...
i'll help you (and others) out with the tail in the lower left...it belongs to a catfish, not a gar :) --
--solomon

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
xander;4291173; said:
ive got a great pic to post after this one is done...:D
sounds good; once this one wraps, i'll shoot your a message (or post) to post your pic and we can move on from there.

reviewing all these photos definitely makes me wish i had a bit more time to spend with the pet fishes...but i should probably keep working at the whole dissertation thing if i ever hope to finish :p --
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store