gar with flared gills?

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Straight foreword blunt fact....
No on knows what causes specific cases of this in gars...

One can speculate to no end, but will not have a factual answer as it does not exist. At this point nothing is known and little is documented. There is no surgical treatment in a case this bad that would be safe for the fish or for that matter ever done.

There you go...

Hope the fish might recover somehow on it's own.

vicdeedee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2009
toronto
thanks polypterus i actually went back to that lfs to see their other gar and it was actually worse, just though id let you know

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
yup....ive hear you just have to keep the water stable and clean and it will heal.
SOMETIMES.
i had one of my old barras get gill curl.
he healed eventually although it did look a little funky.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
vicdeedee;2680975; said:
thanks polypterus i actually went back to that lfs to see their other gar and it was actually worse, just though id let you know
It can actually be worse? that is very unfortunate...Not sure what is going on here but this is downright just straight out wrong husbandry and conditions defined. To have more than one like this is just criminally wrong.

The fact it is actually rare for this condition to occur should say something... To have more than one fish from one place with this condition should say something like go find new LFS fast and stop wasting your money at this craphole...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store