Garage kept ~450g plywood tank - TREATED or UNTREATED plywood for build?

chriswf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2012
Texas
Should the plywood be treated or nontreated? It will stay in a GARAGE.

ALSO there will be fiberrock or cement board/hardibacker in between the PondArmor and the wood.
Let me know! Thanks!

I'm looking at tons of exterior bracing with 2x4s as shown on the Pond Armor website guides.
Insulation between the bracing. But not air tight.

Wife finally gave me the go on the project.

We were nervous at first, but work adjustments didn't effect our budget any really.

SO - tomorrow it starts.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
U could probably use untreated then just paint the entire exterior of the tank with something to "seal" it from the elements and weather changes. Treated lumber is alot more $$$ than paint. Ive never used any treated lumber for fish related projects in a garage or inside.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RedDevilDon2005

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2006
Lawrenceburg, In
www.myspace.com
I stay away from treated. Your paying extra cash for the same thing paint will do. Pressure treated is not water proof. It's treated for bugs with a chemical very similar to arsenic. I believe some company's still use arsenic. Go to lowes. Get the cheap 2x4's. paint them with valspar Duramax and let it go. That paint will last in a garage for years.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
There are different sorts of treatments, and not all will "do the same thing as paint". I certainly wouldn't use untreated timber for anything structural that is going to be in a moist/humid environment, but perhaps the softwood pine we use for building here isn't as resilient as what ever you use in the US.

chriswf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2012
Texas
I GOT MY WOOD!!!!!!

It's finally happening!
The rest of it is going to fall into place.

The hardest part I'm worried about, is the levelness of my floor in my garage.

I need to find something to set my stand legs on that might take fractions of an inch of imperfections out of the equation...
Maybe like foam?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store