Garfish with Garfish?

Slippery

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2009
England
The florida is at 8 inches at present and a Poly Endi will be joining later but is in a grow tank at only about 2 inches.

The other two are soribum lima's at present ay around 6 inches and growing.

And one severum at 4 inches;)

Tank is 5ft X 2ft X 2ft by the way

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
ditch the severum. they will take out the gar probably in some way man. rest sound good

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
hmmm, i didnt think limas were a no.
i thought limas were 1 of the few cats that were a yes. are you sure?

Slippery

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2009
England
Lima's are OK if they are big enough to their own size.

That is one i am sure of as a buddy of mine has two in with his Gar....No problem.

The GT is ditched

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
Slippery;2692467; said:
Lima's are OK if they are big enough to their own size.

That is one i am sure of as a buddy of mine has two in with his Gar....No problem.

The GT is ditched
im not worried about the lima...if it's a regular cat, the gar's not going to benefit from it.

just because your neighbout has done it/been doing it doesn't mean it's been working well for the gar, neither does it mean it will continue to work, assuming a lima is a regular cat, take my advise and seperate it too.

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;2687500; said:
hes always changeing some thing.:)
so so true...:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

yes,any of the other lepisosteus should be fine along iwth the trops and cubans if they cant eat each other.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
in terms of the other gar tankmates, it should be stated that if this is your first time keeping gars, you should not consider all the species as good tankmates by any means. i would go for other Florida/spotted or tropical gars. particularly stay away from shortnose (too skittish), alligator (too aggressive/large), and Cuban (too sensitive) gars. longnose gars are often available, but are not the best gar for (gar) beginners. hope that helps--
--solomon

Slippery

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2009
England
I have kept tropical and marine for 30 years but never a Gar so I don't make out I know about them which is why I ask for advice on here but I do know how other fish react in certain circumstances.

You could put a severum in and there would be no problem but on the other hand it could be a disaster.

There are obvious scenarios that are or would be a disaster in mixing certain tank mates but it’s not obvious as it really could be just down to personality.

EG.

I keep a Fahaka Puffer, he would and has destroyed anything in his tank, even a 2ft armoured pleco would be sliced in half. I like him though all the same.

A good friend of mine has a Fahaka too which shares its tank with an Oscar.

I tried that and got the Oscar out very quick.

In 30 years I have learned that fish have different characters so it's never that simple

but opinion is always taken on board....Thank you for your thoughts:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store