GARP

mapledalemolossers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
Central New York
Today we decided to try out Garp with some friends. We took Gargamel and lady gar gar out of the 150 and put them in with Garp. I was a little worried they'd get bullied since Garp hasn't had friends before, but they get along great! image.jpeg
I guess they aren't really strangers though. The two tanks face each other from 15 feet across our living room

Reactions: jjollie

mapledalemolossers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
Central New York
Happy little gar family.

image.jpeg

Today I started them on Hikari Jumbo Carnisticks. I don't like to catch fish small enough for the floridas, and Garp would probably eat all of them anyway, so I ordered from Amazon. They're great. Garp loves them. He ate 40 in 10 minutes haha.

Reactions: jjollie

mapledalemolossers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
Central New York
I can't take a decent picture of the top of the tank because I have a big vine under the LED to break up the bright light for Garp, and the vine is really bright. Looks great, but sucks for pictures

mapledalemolossers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
Central New York
Thanks! All of our pets are very lucky. They all found the golden ticket. My wife is a vet tech and a pet spoiler haha.

I agree, it is definitely time for an upgrade. I look day and night for a 400+ gal for sale close by. If I don't find one in the next couple months I'll be ordering one.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I am happy to see a gator in a good home for once, but...Ill be that guy that saves you the agony later down the road and say it'd be wise to remove the two floridas before disaster....gators are known to be randomly agro to tank mates...and its an inevitability really. They don't get along with others forever even if it seems they tolerate them now.

just the size difference alone makes me pretty nervous looking at the picture. You said he ate an 9" trout, those two floridas are going to be looking like fair game to him shortly.

mapledalemolossers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
Central New York
I agree. I've been thinking the same. Thanks for the second opinion. They get along well but there is such a size difference. I'll probably put them back in the 150 this weekend.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I agree. I've been thinking the same. Thanks for the second opinion. They get along well but there is such a size difference. I'll probably put them back in the 150 this weekend.
yup, even if he doesn't view them as food, in that tank he's going to view them as annoying and gators have a mean streak a mile wide lol a lot of times for no reason and randomly. A lot of horror stories on here that start with "my gator gar was getting along fine with...until" haha.

again though its good to see a gator doing well in the hobby, most times they are destined to extremely unfitting tanks and bad diets. you are doing well with Garp, keep it up!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store