Gars and Rays

ultimatejay

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
USA
Why would you put an angelfish with a ray to begin with? I have had many fish with rays and have had no problems with rays attacking them, but then again I didn't have slow moving weak defenseless fish half the size in with them either. And I have kept several gars with them too with no problems.

You guys have to use common sense once in awhile when mixing predatory fish, like keeping all the sizes of the fish equal and the fish that are less aggressive you want them larger. EX: Don't put a 10-12"+ disc ray with a 4" angelfish. Don't put a 3" red devil with a 14" redtail catfish. GET IT! :screwy:

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Bottomfeeder;2631218; said:
well DARNIT Gr8 i just put all the links into word to post it here! Stealing my thunder, eh?:irked:
*fart* oh wait there it is
Sory...lol

ultimatejay;2631335; said:
Why would you put an angelfish with a ray to begin with? I have had many fish with rays and have had no problems with rays attacking them, but then again I didn't have slow moving weak defenseless fish half the size in with them either. And I have kept several gars with them too with no problems.

You guys have to use common sense once in awhile when mixing predatory fish, like keeping all the sizes of the fish equal and the fish that are less aggressive you want them larger. EX: Don't put a 10-12"+ disc ray with a 4" angelfish. Don't put a 3" red devil with a 14" redtail catfish. GET IT! :screwy:
Check out the date, it was way back when i didnt know any better! :screwy:

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I've seen a Gar bite the tail of a Motoro. And the Gar was smaller.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
this mix can be done. I personnally am gonna try it soon. Just have to be care full and be ready to seperate. Many people try and have this successfully work. Big question is do you have the guts to try it? Jk
try it if you want.

Tom500

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 14, 2008
Halifax, UK!!!
Gr8KarmaSF;2631133; said:

Thanks a lot for the threads there a real help, i dont plan on keeping a small gar with a large ray or any small fsh with the rays maybe a 20" gar with 12" rays, i know they will grow but so will the gar.

Tom500

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 14, 2008
Halifax, UK!!!
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;2632261; said:
this mix can be done. I personnally am gonna try it soon. Just have to be care full and be ready to seperate. Many people try and have this successfully work. Big question is do you have the guts to try it? Jk
try it if you want.

I think i will only trouble is i am wanting marble motoros and leopoldi these are fairly rare and expensive, if i start on a cheap motoro and it works, will it be ok if i swap the motoro for a leo or marble or will the gar react differently to another ray.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
heh, there is no way to tell what gars or any fish for that matter will behave. maybe. maybe the gar wont like the color of the ray. or maybe the new ray wont like the colors or look of the gar. there is too many variables. But chances are if the gar is fine with the ray it probably will be ok with other rays. but it really boils down to you have to be willing to try and ready to seperate my friend.

Tom500

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 14, 2008
Halifax, UK!!!
Well i have a spare 48x24x18 on standby all the time incase of ill fish angry fish so i would separate. I might try it i think i will get a gar and a marble motoro to start with then if thats ok for a few months with no trouble ill progress to a leopoldi or something.

Bartkee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2008
Amsterdam
no problem,
just depends on which ray and which gar and which size.
as for rays, motoro and leo´s are the more aggresive type, and they can grow very big. i have 2 potamotrygon hystrix with 2 lepisosteus oculatus (spotted gar).
they dont bother eatch other at all! i would say perfect tankmates.
the rays are 5 inch and de gar 7 inch.
gator gars are a different storie,
the are unpredictable and will kill anything in the end.

Tom500

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 14, 2008
Halifax, UK!!!
I am looking at keeping a spotted or florida gar and i was looking at either thorny river stingray, flower ray, tiger ray(then upgrade them to an 800G pond when bigger) leopoldi, marble motoro. ??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store