Gars and tankmates

BrandonJ3vino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2012
Salinas
I have to disagree.

Gar = constantly swimming and always colored up.
Indo Dat = Hides in corner and all black or washed out stripes.

No comparison IMO and experience. That is why I ditched 8+ Indo datnoids varying from 4-12" and recently picked up 5 gars and 2 ST's. The only Dats I will never get rid of.
I'm new to dats, so ST would be a?????

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
i had my gars with a ck for a few years. the ck was 18" when it died. never had any problems with them. i would take gars of dats anyday. in fact the only reason i still have my it dat is my daughter told me it was her favorite fish and i can't sell her favorite fish.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
all of those could be housed with gars, but there is a risk. i had rays with my biggest florida with no problems. i have had aros with all my gars no problems. bowfins are another story though. you just have to be ready to seperat.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I will be putting a ray with my gars in the near future.. but my guys are pretty mellow as well and tolerate alot of tankmates others have had bad luck with. my silver arrow and gar fought like cats and dogs.. i chose to keep my gar... the arowana guys will tell you to keep the arow... lol imo... keep what you enjoy most. But Gar can be much harder to aquire then arows, so i would be sure if getting rid of the gar that you want to. Never owned a Dat.. but I would shell out for an ST.. seen a few nice Indos but never fell in love with any of them.

Brian_Fantana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2012
East
If you look closely at all my pics, all of the fish mentioned or in question are actually in the same community tank w/ the exception of the clown knife but instead of the clown knife there are 2 channa which are much more aggressive. The way I've found to work is to add all fish to the tank at the same time so a territory is not already established and the fighting limits itself. In the case of the Gar and Silver, in my experience the arowana must be larger than the gar in addition to adding them to the tank at the same time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store