Gator gar + aro combo

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
May be, likely a female. They all seem to get that rounded underbelly like the one in the picture when they get old. There are about 6-8 of them in that tank at least. If I remember correctly the tank holds 177,000 gallons. It houses "River Monsters" only. If it gets big, there's one in there for the most part. Paroon sharks, RTCatfish, arapaima, arowana, TSN catfish, HUGE southeast asian stingrays, and alligator gar obviously. Here's a picture of an Arapaima that about 8'+/- long ,with a few other fish in the background. That individual Arapaima is about 25 yrs old. We got it in 1991 @ about 12" when an illegal shipment of them was seized at the Miami airport coming into the country. IMAG0234.jpg

IMAG0234.jpg

RexPongo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
Tampa,fl
Gator gars are known, chronic murderers. You may have a magic mix that some people are graced with, but that combo almost assuredly spells disaster at some point. I'm not knocking you, they are your fish, not mine, and you have a better read of the personalities. Aros are more aggressive feeders I think, My gars tend to be pretty lazy hunters, but I'm raising floridas, not gators. I'll be interested for you to keep us posted every so often if you keep them together for much longer.
i can second this, my 8" gar ate his 7" brother. gave me nightmares

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
I know my set up can spell distribution in the long run but I'm prepared for it but that also doesn't mean it will happen I have had much crazyer combos then this and it was fine. When I added the gar he was about 13 inches my arapiam was 9 inches and the Pima is bigger then the gar now so the Pima is in the clear my RTC is the 3 inches smaller then the gar but 3 to 4 times thicker then the gar the aro is the biggest fish in the tank I measured him yesterday he's 23 inches and only the arapiam and aro eat every day. I grow the fish at will by how and what I feed them so I'm controlling the growth so no body gets eaten. I have a 7 inch green terror in there as well and at least 2 of the fish in there could eat him now but they leave him alone I imagine he will be the first To go if anybody, I'll probably just give him away soon I don't do cichlids any more I just don't like them with the exception of my electric blue Jacks in my 75g

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
I also try to make things work out like you. It sounds like to me that you've thought about all the variables that you can control. Sounds like you've got it under control if you want my opinion. I've had MUCH different, harder to keep, and more difficult combos of fish work as well. Even when EVERYONE I asked said that it wouldn't work. In my mind, I had thought about all the variables and decided to risk it. Usually, well about 70-80% of the time anyway, it worked out. Like it has for you so far. I have had the ending go completely different than what I had told myself was gonna happen also though. The only problem I foresee is.... keeping the RTC full enough so as not to wanna eat the Arowana and Clown Knifefish. By keeping it full enough to dissuade it from eating his buddies, you might be making it grow faster. I'm pretty sure that you've already thought about that though. So far you're doing well. Hopefully you can keep it up. Good luck.

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
Well I study my fish well and its a monster stock by every definition so when u have so many monster it's hard to expect them not to act like it. Take my rtc for example I know his behavior well if he's hungry he will start prowling kinda like a normal cat so at that point I will feed him other wise he's super lazy and doesn't do anything so sense my tank is in my living room it is monitored almost all day long.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Good stuff man. PLEASE post some pictures, older and recently if you've got them. Thanks alot, I am really excited to see your fish and aquarium also.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store