gator gar distinguishing features ?

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
that makes me wonder if they are actually alligator gar or if they are just labeled as that.

i was looking through the media thread and saw xander's pics of an alligator gar (A.spatula)

with several references (here and elsewhere) to the short snout and larger eye making alligator gars easy to spot, i pinched a bit of one of xander's alligator gar pics and put it into my pic to make it easier to compare. i put a ring around the eye that is the same size rign for both eyes ( i copied the ring and put it over both eyes for reference ).

you can make your conclusions.

looking at younger alligator gars size and patterns the only thing im confident about at the moment id wise is that the snout is a bit wider but unfortunately there isnt a shot of the top to compare that ( however i think it would be more of an obvious difference if there was ).

gar head comparison with a.spatula head.jpg

just to point out. im not saying anyone is right or wrong. i just thought i would ask a bit more in detail as i thought it was interesting and ive had trouble id'ing gars in the past and when i last looked i aparently overlooked a few as the list seems to be a bit longer now :-o

florida
yoy florida
spotted
tropical
shortnose
alligator
crocodile
cuban
longnose,
type 1 & type 2 ?

maybe if i can get to grips with the alligator one i can get better at the others :D

gar head comparison with a.spatula head.jpg

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
All the fish pictured are Floridas, except for the little inset, which is an Alligator.

FLORIDAS are the ones with a white stripe down the back.

Energy

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
Tropical Minnesota
Their is a very simple test to tell if a gar is a true alligator or a florida. Put your finger in the tank with the fish you wish to identify. If it comes up and grabs your finger then lets go-its a Florida. But if it grabs it and then takes the other 4 fingers along with it, while twisting and hitting you with it's tail -then its a gator. Let me know how that works for you- no thanks needed :).

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
All the fish pictured are Floridas, except for the little inset, which is an Alligator.

Small gators have a prominent white stripe down their back. It very quickly disappears as they put some size on.

As far as differentiating gators. For their size they have larger eyes, larger fins, and a wider nose than the other gar species. Pattern is quite a bit different as well.

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.

thanks and yes that was kinda the point of the last picture and the reason that i stated that it was an alligator taken from a thread here inc the reason for comparing it (not necessarily to my own but as a general comparison. ie , eyes length of snout etc as stated with the pic).

Their is a very simple test to tell if a gar is a true alligator or a florida. Put your finger in the tank with the fish you wish to identify. If it comes up and grabs your finger then lets go-its a Florida. But if it grabs it and then takes the other 4 fingers along with it, while twisting and hitting you with it's tail -then its a gator. Let me know how that works for you- no thanks needed :).
yes, thanks for your helpful insight. im not quite sure how a 3-4" gator gar is going to take half my hand as well as hit me with its tail whilst in a tank
also i reguarly put my hands in the tank with my adult florida and it doesnt bother my fingers at all so going on your theory of identification i think i must have found a new species.
again thanks.

Small gators have a prominent white stripe down their back. It very quickly disappears as they put some size on.

As far as differentiating gators. For their size they have larger eyes, larger fins, and a wider nose than the other gar species. Pattern is quite a bit different as well.
thanks for your post :) i think i am more familiar with identifying the wider nose at least. interesting that there is obviously still confusion regarding id even with the identifying white stripe. simply because your post contradicts fwprawn.

thanks again to all who replied. the resulting id's are as i thought as an inexperienced gar keeper ( although ive had one for many years i wouldnt call myself knowledgable ).

one last question. what is "YOY florida" as opposed to a normal "florida" ?

type 1 and type 2 will have to wait i guess as it seems only florida are available at my lfs.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
I'd LOVE to see a gator gar with olive gold, and brown colors.

YOY means Young of the Year, Florida gar - so to answer your question, a baby Florida is the same as an older Florida.

Here is mine - right about 16 inches.

GatorGarOct2013.JPG

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
I'd LOVE to see a gator gar with olive gold, and brown colors.

I, also, would like to see a Gator Gar with the white stripe. I've seen this in baby FL gars, but not Gators.

YOY means Young of the Year, Florida gar - so to answer your question, a baby Florida is the same as an older Florida.

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
lol. thanks for the yoy detail. i still cant id the gar in your pic though :D

thanks for the reply and clearing up the yoy thing :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store