G'day

Bob9863

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2023
I'm currently living in Australia, but we just got a few acres in northern thailand that were building our retirement home on (early retirement at that)
I'm going to be spending hopefully about half the year over there setting up various investments and building outer new home, but it's going to include a very big fish pond, my current thinking is around a half acre in size, 3m deep at the back 3rd, 1m deep along the left edge and 1.5m-2m deep over the rest. I also want to build a rocky river along the side of the house running into it.
We have a mountain stream and a waterfall as one boundary so there will be plenty of fresh clean water running into it.
I've currently got a 20mX10mX1.5m fishing pond on another bit of land up there, but it doesn't have any big fish in it yet other then a couple of giant snakehead and a Mekong catfish.
I plan on stocking the new pond with a heap of tilapia, small catfish and snakehead, probably anabas too, they will be for catching and feeding the bigger fish.
I'd like to put at least 1 arapaima, 5 golden, green and blue Mahseer, 5 tiger fish and 5 Golden Dorado at this stage.
I'm hoping if I build the stream right I can get the Mahseer to breed.
I've added a pic of the land and a rough sketch of what I'm thinking of building, and the yellow bit at the back will actually be a patio area built over the water.
I'm definitely going to need a little advice getting thus to run right, but I think I've got the basic idea pretty good.
I look forward to learning a lot from here.

Screenshot_20231113_144409_Maps - Copy.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I'm currently living in Australia, but we just got a few acres in northern thailand that were building our retirement home on (early retirement at that)
I'm going to be spending hopefully about half the year over there setting up various investments and building outer new home, but it's going to include a very big fish pond, my current thinking is around a half acre in size, 3m deep at the back 3rd, 1m deep along the left edge and 1.5m-2m deep over the rest. I also want to build a rocky river along the side of the house running into it.
We have a mountain stream and a waterfall as one boundary so there will be plenty of fresh clean water running into it.
I've currently got a 20mX10mX1.5m fishing pond on another bit of land up there, but it doesn't have any big fish in it yet other then a couple of giant snakehead and a Mekong catfish.
I plan on stocking the new pond with a heap of tilapia, small catfish and snakehead, probably anabas too, they will be for catching and feeding the bigger fish.
I'd like to put at least 1 arapaima, 5 golden, green and blue Mahseer, 5 tiger fish and 5 Golden Dorado at this stage.
I've added a pic of the land and a rough sketch of what I'm thinking of building, and the yellow bit at the back will actually be a patio area built over the water.
I'm definitely going to need a little advice getting thus to run right, but I think I've got the basic idea pretty good.

View attachment 1529979
Welcome aboard

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Bob9863

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2023
Sounds terrific.

I am in Northern Thailand too.

When you get here, let me know.

Tried to send you a PM, but you may have to post a few more threads before you can get them.
Probably, our place is up in Nan, just this side of the border, I'm over here ATM, have been for the last month, but I'm heading back on Wednesday.

AR1

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
kingdom of saudi arabia, riyadth

View attachment 1529979
welcome to mfk

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas

View attachment 1529979
Welcome to the fun group! I can't wait to see how this pound turns out.

Reactions: tlindsey and kno4te

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Bob9863

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2023
Thanks for the welcome, I'm definitely looking forward making this pond work, I'm even considering trying my hand at breeding some Golden Mahseer, just to release in the local rivers to try and re-establish a wild breeding population.
It's work3d in other parts of the country so I don't see why it won't work there too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store