GE Silicone 1 Door/Window vs GE Silicone 2 Door/Window

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
kdv9tb;4289987; said:
So GE 1 and 2 can both be used in an aquarium. What about in a saltwater set-up?
Since your standard, readily availble aqaurium is not explicitly labeled for exclusive freshwater or saltwater use, it isnt going to matter much.

It should be fine for salt.

the_deeb

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
NYC
Zander_The_RBP;4288038; said:
I'll say it again and it's the truth 100% SILICONE IS 100% SILICONE
While this is true, it's not the whole story. Silicone not an element, it's a polymer. There's a silicon and oxygen backbone which is bonded to an organic group. Depending on the chemical formulation, this organic side group can vary (eg, ethyl vs phenyl). You can also vary the chain length and cross linking.

This means that two different brands of silicone can truthfully claim to be "100% silicone" as long as they contain the basic chemical constituents yet they can actually vary quite a bit in properties and composition. This is not false advertising - it's just that the term "silicone" isn't specific for just one thing.

Given that most silicone polymers are pretty stable, I don't think there's much concern with stuff leaching into the water with any of the 100% silicones. However, the different chemical formulations will absolutely affect strength, flexibility and adhesion.

That being said, GEI is probably fine for most of what the average DIYer does because we glop lots of silicone on our seams and our tank and sump designs provide a lot of bracing and structural support elements. But for manufacturers of high end rimless tanks like Elos they would absolutely disagree with your statement that "100% silicone is 100% silicone".

To get beautiful seams like this a tiny amount of silicone has to support a tremendous amount of pressure without any bracing to offer additional strength so they use proprietary blends of silicone that are a lot stronger. I certainly wouldn't try to pull of something like this with GE1.

returnofsid

Feeder Fish
Oct 4, 2005
Spokane, WA
Been a long time since I've visited, but ran across this thread and figured it was time to chime in.

I used to manage a paint supply company and dealt with GE A LOT. The ONLY reason the tube specifically states NOT SAFE FOR AQUARIUM USE, is because of a contractual obligation.

Ya see, GE manufactures the AQUARIUM SAFE silicon and packages it in the tubes that you buy at your LFS. Well, GE's contracts with the AQUARIUM SAFE SILICON companies, requires them to put NOT SAFE, on the tubes that aren't specifically marketed for aquariums. It's nothing more than a marketing agreement and contract. The stuff in each container is identical.

Clay

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2005
Chantilly, Va
You guys do understand the difference between aquarium silicone (which I am not talking about) and adhesive silicone that works in an aquarium (rtv), right?

My posts on this subject have been about RTV silicones because they do provide a highly adhesive property that GE1 DOES NOT offer. Please read them again if you doubt this. I didn't mention GE1 rebrands, I didn't mention GE2 rebrands, I mentioned RTV 102,103, and 108 specifically. Sorry to get you all spun up on the silicone subject. I just wanted to offer a little help to fellow DIYers. I thought I did it factually by presenting data sheets and pictures. I've been in this hobby for a long time, and helped start some of these boards (pfish circa 1998 anyone?). I've built a lot of DIY contraptions, and spent a lot of money and time doing things the wrong way. I've found some clever tricks and tips either by reading them or figuring them out on my own. I posted a little bit about a little silicone that works for this purpose.

No offense, but I'm not sure how a former (or current) manager at a paint store qualifies an opinion on GE contractual obligations? And before the retort, I haven't presented any information as fact that wasn't backed by proof.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Not that anyone will listen to me here either, but Clay is right. Not all silicons are created equal. RTV is a commercial grade adheasive. GE I/II is not intended for this sort of use. They are meant to creat a seal, not bond two things together.

The silicons that say safe for aquarium use do not necessarily mean safe to hold a tank together either. Just because it is safe to use in the tank does not mean it has the properties to do so.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store