Gender My Jack Dempsey

Fishlover420

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2022
Illinois
Yesterday I got extremely lucky and I got a 6in Jack Dempsey now I don’t know ?‍♀ what gender it is I was told so many different things in the past 24 hours and I hope that y’all can please help me

0308C806-1FEC-42B9-B9A8-0E56D81BDAD4.jpeg

D3D66301-A821-415F-A000-B14DCB2C5850.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey

Fishlover420

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2022
Illinois
a vent shot underneath may also help to firm up the gender.
Well this fish is extremely stressed and I should have looked when putting it in my bad the pet shop says definitely male then I posted a photo people said female why I’m here LOL but he/she was moved out of their tank to pet shop to my tank in a matter of 6-8 hours so until he/she is calm I’m not doing anything that would stress her out more ….. and yea that’s why I am just stuck right now LOL

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
To tell for sure we will have to wait till it settles in more, I’m leaning male. My similarly sized male jd has a lot of blue bearding. On a female the dots are pretty much all connected to create a blue patch (though that could come in once it’s better settled).

Reactions: Kelly_Aquatics

Fishlover420

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2022
Illinois
It looks male to me too.
Females have a lot of blue on the lower jaw.
The only rub here.......is that because your substrate is so while, it may cause the JD to wash out, and not display true coloration
I agree with you about the substrate and the male part has me thrown here because the fins look female and then the color is there all the blue dots but not connected type so idk I do know I was able to see the under belly there appears to be 2 holes about a inch or 2 apart is that female or male kinda dumb question but he/she is my first JD thank you

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I agree with you about the substrate and the male part has me thrown here because the fins look female and then the color is there all the blue dots but not connected type so idk I do know I was able to see the under belly there appears to be 2 holes about a inch or 2 apart is that female or male kinda dumb question but he/she is my first JD thank you
Both males and females have a vent and anus - but the sizing is different between the two.

Reactions: Cichlids-r-beasts

Fishlover420

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2022
Illinois
Both males and females have a vent and anus - but the sizing is different between the two.
So would the vent be larger???
male vent smaller if it does come to it I will take him/her and vent but I am going to put black sand 1st and see if that helps

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store