Gentlest ich med? New angels with a Raphael cat...

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Tried high temps alone since catfish can't take salt. No good, ich is back a week later. Which brand of med should be the gentlest, or is there simply a specific mg per gallon of the active ingredient (regardless of brand) to use? I'm thinking of trying a half-dose, but since I expect dosages to vary from brand to brand, I was hoping somebody knew the usual/half dose.

It's a 55g with a giant oto, six new angels, a raphael cat, two female guppies and some plants. The Molly and shrimp are in quarantine and show no illness, but since the meds are often harmful to shrimp, he's staying in there until it's all over.

Edit: Scratch that. These angels a hodge podge of disease. The black one is all patchy and hints at ulcerations, one of the marbled kois is bloated beyond reason... I'm moving the catfish to a quarantine tank and throwing whatever is best at these guys. So salt, some sort of ich med, clout and what else?

Does clout cure ich?

EVAN YUNCK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2009
ALBANY NY
CANT THINK OF THE NAME OF THE MAKER BUT THE THE PRODUCT IS CALLED QUICK CURE ITLL COVER ALL YOUR NEEDS AND KILL THE ICH NOT JUST MAKE IT SUBSIDE,LIKE THE TEMP. THING.WORKS FAST AS THE NAME SUGGESTS

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Well, I've been using formalin at half-dose and now upped it to a 75% dosage. One unsettling thing, though. My nematodes are fine. Does that mean my formalin is expired? I don't know how old it is or where I got it....but nematodes should not be okay in formalin, correct? The ich is getting worse, but I've only been using the formalin for two days, so the ones I'm seeing were already embedded before treatment began, right? I've never fought ich in my meager five years of fishkeeping and didn't expect to lose. Everyone makes it sound easy.

cichlid2006

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
Fife - Scotland
i use interpets anti-whitespot, probably one of the most gentle ich meds that can be used at full strength with loaches. very good too. thats if you can get it over there.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Hmm. I've never seen anything by that company as far as I know. I'll watch for it, but for now I've got to follow through with my questionable formalin regimen. *sigh* The ich is no worse today than it was yesterday, so I've got my fingers crossed that I may have stopped the cycle.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
The formalin is working. The cysts are dropping fast and I see no new maturing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store