Geo's water parameters

ammerman19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Looking for some thoughts on my setup from somebody with similar water parameters and experience with geo's.*

*I was thinking of getting some geophagus*dicrozoster and*sp. ‘red head Tapajos’. The only concern I really have is my water parameters. Indianapolis tap water is quite hard the hardness is 300ppm. The p.h. is about 7.8. I was wanting some thoughts on wether that type of water would be ok for those fish or not. I really don't feel like wasting money or fish or the fish themselves.*

*I recently added some driftwood to the tank (125 g) to maybe soften it up some. If I need to use some RO water that is fine but I would prefer not to if it would be unnecessary. This kind of leads me into my next question of whether or not it would be possible to do 6 of each in a tank that size. I have some buenos aires tetras for dithering/cycling purposes right now. I know this will be a little overcrowded but kinda shooting for peace through population. I do have other tanks that would be available if I needed to separate any of them for any reason.*

I know they are meant more for soft water but I have read some articles saying that they will also do fine in hard water as well.

Thanks

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Your water is similar to the water we have up here and geos do just fine in Chicagoland.

Piscine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Northwestern Louisiana
I keep my Geos in the high 7's, which varies depending on rain and other factors.

cdubel01

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2011
Louisville, KY
i have orangehead geos and a couple bahia red geos in a 125 with some discus and others and no issues. I have driftwood in there that has lowered my ph to like 6.8 last time I checked it. I just use tap water and treat it with dechlorinizer, and no issues for me. I think u will be fine as long as u acclimate them slowly...g/l

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
JK47 has kept a lot of species at water similar to yours. He did use RO at one point to attempt some breeding. Shoot him a PM and ask his opinion on it.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
JK47 has kept a lot of species at water similar to yours. He did use RO at one point to attempt some breeding. Shoot him a PM and ask his opinion on it.
This is true and I have messed around all over the board trying to provide best for them. I ended up switching to centrals for this very reason. OP, orange heads (tapajos) are pretty hardy and should fair just fine in your water. Mine were always in pH 7.8 their whole life and were beautiful/bred many times. Advice if you do go this route is make sure you don't skip water changes.. I will tell you that you can add all the driftwood you want and it will not soften your water. Soft water is easy to soften further via enough driftwood etc.. Hard water is an entierly different story and will not budge without the use of something like a good RO filter. Even though they may do fine in the hard water, I will tell you from experience the difference between the same fish after having been switched to RO is pretty big. It's your call, GL either way! :)

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Most of the geo's now are tank raised and they will do fine in that water, Just keep up on the weekly water changes.

Piscine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Northwestern Louisiana
Most of the geo's now are tank raised and they will do fine in that water, Just keep up on the weekly water changes.
Too add to what I said earlier, part of my group is WC....My largest WC male has bred with my smallest WC female in this water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store