German epoxy for plywood aquariums.

StaOlog

Feeder Fish
Jun 6, 2015
Karlshamn, Sweden
Hello dear community members!

First I want to point out that English isn’t my first language. Further reading might lead to hysterical laughing attacks and/or severe urges to act as grammar police or English teacher. =)

When that is out of the way, now to “problems” and questions…

I’m about to take apart a 200x80x60 (lxdxh) due to a broken bottom glass. The crack is huge and I really don’t want to spend money to try and fix it without being sure it will hold water again. Buying a new piece of glass would have been an alternative if I had felt comfortable in rebuilding the aquarium, which I’m not.

I’d like to try and build three new very odd shaped plywood aquariums and as I’m used to work with wood, though I’m in no way any carpenter, I think I’ll manage. The water depth will initially not be over 40cm, but I’d like to build them “right” to be able to fill them all up if I’d like to in the future.

I’ve been thinking of using one of the old side panels for a smaller build to begin with as practice. If I get it right I can move on to the “bigger” builds and if I don’t… I’ll have to make do with the old, ugly glass tanks I have atm.

So… I’d like to use a glass fiber armored epoxy to waterproof the tank(s) and as I live in Europe I don’t have as much alternatives as you guys in the US. However… I have found a German epoxy called “Epoxidhartz SystemE45” (http://www.ebay.de/itm/10-1-Kg-GFK-...ierharz-Terra-Harz-Top-Qualitat-/381470699974 ) from http://www.breddermann-kunstharze.de/. They claim it to be a good alternative for aquariums and even UV-resistant(?!). Now to the question… Is there any European community member, or anyone else for that matter, that have any kind of experience with this product? Also, is there any need for a top-coat to ensure oxygen and UV-protection?

Perhaps there is someone here able to judge the quality from the specs? I have no idea if that is possible though, hehe. =)

I hope someone have some kind of answer and in any case… thanks for reading! =)

// Johan - Sweden

geophagus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2006
Norway
Hi Johan, im pretty sure West Systems epoxy is available in Sweden, i would use that rather than try something new.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store