Getting a 550 gallon tank next week...

ChiPerf

Candiru
MFK Member
Thanks for the help. Not sure what kind of fish they are, but they are decent sized, maybe a tang or trigger, but I'm not that versed in salt water fish. Yeah, the more I think about it now I want sand instead of gravel. I go back and forth. lol I got some samples from the quarry that look nice, but the more I see tanks with sand they just seem to look cleaner/more natural. Gravel is starting to look very pet shopish to me now. Where do you get pool filter sand? Pool store? Or just HD or Menards?

redtailcatfreak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2011
Where the gators are
yeah ^ a sand tank is alot easier to maintain as well. all the crap doesnt sink through it to the bottom.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
just rinse/clean it out real well. you can reuse most of the stuff except for skimmer, hydrometer etc, everything else is still applicable for a freshwater. you should invest in a large piece of driftwood from manzman he's a vendor here, that really makes the tank stand out.

actually you can fill the skimmer with bio media and still use it... i did this with the one i got from my old 220... was perfect for extra bio filter

sazhar

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2009
Yorkville, IL
I get my PFS at ACE hardware. I also bought a salt setup and turned it to freshwater. Just make sure when you first get it setup and running to do a couple major water changes before placing fish in it. I reused the pumps and some of the plumbing on my tank so I had some residual salinity in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store