Getting a Clown Knife to eat frozen instead of live?

KristaM92

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2011
Wausau, WI
What kind of live worms should I use? I picked up some wax worms but when I brought them home, they were all dead and just floated at the top of the tank. So I'll have to return those and get different ones. I got him to eat a piece of krill at the bottom of the tank. And then another piece I had on a string but he spit that one out. Ever since then, he's been putting krill in his mouth and spitting it out. I got him to eat a silverside but he spit that out too. I've never seen such an indecisive fish. He is beyond picky. lol At the moment, I'm trying to get two needle nose gars to eat frozen as well. One of the gars eats krill if it's on a string and the other wont eat anything. Needless to say, feeding time is really frustrating at my house right now. I wish they were pigs like my cats... I'm going to wait a few days before I try again. When I do, I think I'll try garlic soaks and live worms.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I've used Night Crawlers from Walmart before. Depending on how big of Knife you have you can try anything from live Black Worms to fat Canadian Night Crawlers.

Sent from my MB860 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
cut-up nightcrawlers at 9" .. my aba aba went bonkers for them. I've also been having alot of success with mysis shrimp. and soaking other foods like krill with a cube of bloodworms. even try soaking floating pellets in bloodworms for approx 15mins before feeding has worked for me with picky eaters.

KristaM92

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2011
Wausau, WI
UPDATE: So he eats live worms, which is great. But he also eats algae wafers...? :confused: If my pleco doesn't get to them in time, the clown knife will eat them. I'm thinking this may be the right time to introduce massivore pellets?

perfect_prefect

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
iowa
most definitley time to try masivore. good job getting him off feeders

KristaM92

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2011
Wausau, WI
Thanks everyone! I ordered some massivore (my LFS doesn't carry it) and it should be here next week. In the mean time, both the clown and the gars are eating frozen krill like crazy. :) I'm very pleased! I plan on stuffing the krill with massivore for some extra nutrition. A diet of krill, live worms, and massivore is pretty good, right? Or does anyone have any other suggestions for food I could try to get them to eat?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store