getting in the mood to raise some fry...

iheartfishies

Im Angie
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Northern VA
vvvp.dynu.com
piranha45 said:
i cant keep fish food in the freezer due to parents, so no worms. Crickets are a ****ing hassle, you have to sit there and wait for the fish to eat them all every time, or you risk letting them crawl out and escape.

if i had a source of cheap crayfish, i would totlaly stock up on those. As it stands, I don't though...
What the ****....you can't keep frozed food?
Now Crickets, I could understand them not wanting those in your house....or live meal worms in the fridge, but Frozen food!!Weird.
Buy a effin Mini fridge.
****, I'll send you my extra one, I don't ever use it.

sleepyflight

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
From my experience....its all about the male and female totally accepting each other. The live food trick hasn't worked, but giving a diff. male or female for them to pick from has. If they're in a tank all alone, try putting in something hearty that they can kinda bond with against it. That one has worked. Everything that's bred for me has been just one pellets. But I've also seen what looked like breeding ritual but it was also just m/f trying to reject the other politely. If you really wanna get froggy....a ur. or carp. bred with a dempsy looks awsome.

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
Well my pair indulged on 6 1" tinfoil barbs. Hope they liked the $12 meal. Didn't even last them over a day. And they had guppies just a few hours prior.

Phtstrat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2005
Gainesville, FL
You aren't worried about the Pseudotropheus eating the fry?

Or are you assuming that the parents will take care of them if they come too close?

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
we'll see if/when they breed... the scolofi have a hard enough time moving as it is; the female uro spends much of her time harassing them already.

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
I noticed this morning that my uro was fairly listless, and not attempting to feed. Gave her a looking over, she has frayed fins and missing scales.

Texas must've flipped out on her... which is sort of odd, because the texas is (and has been) exhibiting no breeding coloration whatsoever. The texas is looking fine and dandy, otherwise.

The uro's still pretty weak and in hiding now, not sure if the texas intends to wipe her out or what, though he hasn't shown any aggression to her in front of me. I'm not particularly attached to her, though I would have certainly enjoyed some tex+uro fry. I'd separate her into my 10g if I had a great interest in her, but as it stands my 10g is housing some flagfish that I'd like to breed, and I'd rather sacrifice her than them.

I've noticed the 55g is exhibiting an uncharacteristically fishy smell; I suspect its the result of the excess/lost slime coat of the uro, since I did a 90% water change yesterday.

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
yeah she's in total hiding, looks like she's a goner. So much for this project.

when she dies, I think I'm gonna plop in a 4" female JD and see how that goes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store