Getting into Salt Water, with an octopus!

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
I live about a half mile from the sound so daily 100% waterchanges on a small tank is pretty simple. It would be much easier if I could find out if the local sand and rocks already have beneficial bacteria on them or not so I can set up a larger tank for him.

If I cant keep him alive, he will make superb cobia bait, it is cobia season after all. If he does make it and gets much larger, I can for see him meeting a large grouper in the future. Win-win all around.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Lmfao not bad at all fishing wise! Also I think it's illegal to harvest live rock...keep it on the down low lol jk

Younglin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
34-24-36
The octopus at a LFS here will open jars to get at crabs and crayfish. And he will push himself through a 1 inch pvc pipe into another tank. It's awesome. And when he camouflages against the rocks you can't see him at all.

Younglin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
34-24-36
I dont think chunks of asphalt from several hurricanes from years past would be illegal to harvest.
LOL

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Several things I'll toss out there, and we'll see where this goes:
Let's assume you have the permit to collect in FL. Taking wet rock/sand is illegal since they don't allow permits for that. You'll have to buy stuff like that for your set up.

A tight lid on a bucket is very poor for gas exchange and water quality. Daily 100% changes are giving this guy huge chemistry swings - and you need to look for something more stable. Also, water by the shore it mostly crap.

You'll need a big tank and enough life support (filter) to keep up if it decides to ink the tank at any point.

They like hiding spots, and will need a secure set up (as posted). Just keep in mind anything bigger than it's beak (which is about the size of an airline tube at this point) is a hole big enough it can wiggle out of if it wants.

If you get all that, and can get it eating you're pretty well off.

TMartinez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
Mandarin, Fl
Zoodiver;5085957; said:
Several things I'll toss out there, and we'll see where this goes:
Let's assume you have the permit to collect in FL. Taking wet rock/sand is illegal since they don't allow permits for that. You'll have to buy stuff like that for your set up.

A tight lid on a bucket is very poor for gas exchange and water quality. Daily 100% changes are giving this guy huge chemistry swings - and you need to look for something more stable. Also, water by the shore it mostly crap.

You'll need a big tank and enough life support (filter) to keep up if it decides to ink the tank at any point.

They like hiding spots, and will need a secure set up (as posted). Just keep in mind anything bigger than it's beak (which is about the size of an airline tube at this point) is a hole big enough it can wiggle out of if it wants.

If you get all that, and can get it eating you're pretty well off.
Very good points here... These guys can slip through almost any crevice. Be VERY CAREFUL with your setup. I have heard stories of octopuses climbing out of filters ( they went up through the intake tube) or through screens on top of the tank. They are extremely smart, more than you might think. I would get the thing identified and get a tank according to it's adult needs

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
Taking a chunk of asphalt from the bay is illegal? Some sand? I find that very hard to believe. Can you point me to the legislation that says so?

My original intent on him was to be used for bait so I guess I will just give it my best

GinBlack

Candiru
MFK Member
May 15, 2009
New York
OMG I sooo love Octopus! The only one I have is a 48 inch stuffed animal on my bed! That is so cool you have one! Wish you the best of luck!

TMartinez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
Mandarin, Fl
Actually it most states its true. No I live in FL to and will someone say anything to you? probably not. However if Florida Fish and wildlife were to see you, they may and they can give you a fine. Where are you at in Fl? alot of areas are protected too

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store