Getting NGT off earthworms

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Rob... dont risk it dieing by full on starving...
Its small size still.
You have all the time in the world to convert it... so if I was you.. just add.some chopped earth worms.for one feed
Then back to starving... for week or so...
Keep alternating this.... but remember to just do a top up feed ONCE.. not for 2 or 3 days...
I find this triggers the feeding actions of the fish.
And also it will get pissed off with being hungry again... once its had this top up feed...
I do this method instead of eat ot die method.. works all the time... and I have piece of mind it wont starve to death...

May take longer to convert... but as I said... you have lots of time to convert. No big rush... whwn you consider how long these fish live

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
Rob... dont risk it dieing by full on starving...
Its small size still.
You have all the time in the world to convert it... so if I was you.. just add.some chopped earth worms.for one feed
Then back to starving... for week or so...
Keep alternating this.... but remember to just do a top up feed ONCE.. not for 2 or 3 days...
I find this triggers the feeding actions of the fish.
And also it will get pissed off with being hungry again... once its had this top up feed...
I do this method instead of eat ot die method.. works all the time... and I have piece of mind it wont starve to death...

May take longer to convert... but as I said... you have lots of time to convert. No big rush... whwn you consider how long these fish live
Thanks Ade. I won't subscribe to the eat or die ethos-I'm a hobbyist and won't let a fish die for the sake of it. This happened in the past with an NGT that got too weak to feed in the end. Never thought to do it your way but will definitely give it a go. Thanks for the tip.
It's a beautiful fish and would over the moon if I can get it on pellets.

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
I've owned a few species of Dat's NGT were quite a bit pickier when it came to food.

I also find that competition for food helps, flashy fast moving fish seems to get them caught up in the moment and they start eating anything simply to get to it first. Alone i found they would have far too much time to inspect and mull over food and then wouldn't try anything new.
Thanks DC. There's a shoal of 8 Spotted Dollars in the tank with it so this should help too

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store