Getting rid of mineral deposit

troutking

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
I have another question if i dont bother to further clean out the mineral deposit and just set it up will the mineral deposit affect my water parameters? Im thinking it would raise the hardness of the water

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
A lot of the lime scale deposit will disappear once you add water. If your lazy like me, just fill the tank up and add some pool acid and leave overnight. It will dissolve quite a bit before you even start scrubbing.

troutking

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
fishdance;4335238; said:
A lot of the lime scale deposit will disappear once you add water. If your lazy like me, just fill the tank up and add some pool acid and leave overnight. It will dissolve quite a bit before you even start scrubbing.
If i just leave it will it affect the water parameters? Im hesitant to add anything cuz i dont want any residue in the tank...its gonna be hard to wash cuz its on the stand already and i dont wanna move it outside again...the only way ill be able to clean it is to siphon it which will leave some of the liquid in it no matter what

PostalPenguin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2010
Denver CO
If you are worried about leaving a residue, use vinegar. Even if you leave some, it will decompose and wont harm the fish at all.

troutking

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
PostalPenguin;4335660; said:
If you are worried about leaving a residue, use vinegar. Even if you leave some, it will decompose and wont harm the fish at all.
If i decide to just leave the mineral deposit will it affect the water parameters?

Aquarist123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2007
NY
I've been cleaning tanks like crazy.. you can't believe the condition some of the used tanks I bought are in (dirt cheap). Use a spray bottle to get a good spray of vinegar over the deposit, let it sit, and either use a razor blade or a good scubber. A good scrubber, I used a metal one that kinda looks like steel wool, will even get the stuff that's is caked onto the plastic. I got vinegar at the dollar store. I'm not sure about the red wine vinegar but if I was you, I'd go for it and just wash out with water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store