Getting the 29 going again!!!

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
-EWO-NiUm-;4592754; said:
Thanks for the suggestion, although is it posible to mix&match?
Yes, but depends. I wouldnt put caulerpa with chaeto just because caulerpa spreads so quickly.

But if I was doing something like ulva I would add chaeto, or chaeto and mangrove shoots.

I think the green macros are supposed to make for the best nutrient exporters.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Well, you have Red, Green, and Brown/Black Macro algaes. You can have fleshy, turf, and calcareous algae types.

I have caulerpa. I havent had too many issues with it as far as it going sexual. I was running it on a 18 hour cycle, but bumped it up to a 24/7 light period to keep it from going sexual. I like it because it spreads amazingly fast, my fish would eat it if I chose to make it available to them, and my pods flourish in it.

Then there is chaeto. Which is can be used as a floating mat or can be spead out like a turf algae if you want. It is slower growing, but wont go sexual like caulerpa. A lot people like chaeto because they say it is very tolerant. Not many fish will eat it either.

Red algaes I dont believe are as effective nutrient exporters as greens, thats where my experience stops.

I dont believe anything will eat calcareous algae, like halimeda. But more and more articles are popping up about how they are great nutrient exporters.

Maybe fleshy will pop in, I know he has more experience in macros then I do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store