In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
burrow into thier host and consume them from the inside

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
I have another place to look later for more info but don't have time right now.

Moon its really just what a good Mod should do

Zinq

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2006
Canada
Thanks for the reply Anne. Sounds like fun times with the whole burrowing and eating from the inside out. :nilly:

I did a quick search and it doesn't seem to use vertebrates in it's life cycle, at least not commonly. Mainly parasitises on inverts apparently. But yah, better safe then sorry.

tezr

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2007
Austin TX
www.rivercityaquatics.com
No control measures are recommended as horsehair worms do not injure humans, animals or plants (cause no economic damage). Instead, they are considered beneficial since they kill many harmful pests such as grasshoppers, crickets, cockroaches, beetles, millipedes, centipedes, snails, slugs, etc.
seems to be the repeated theme on all the sites I have found...

Bichirs4life

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2008
The Unknown...
Well if the information came from the University of Kentucky than it's information you can hang your hat on!!! Go Cats!!!

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
good thread beblondie worms are getting more and more common around here i don't buy ghost shrimp for petsmart any more

SemperFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2007
Hubert, NC
nasty little buggers eh? Im gonna start keeping an eye out for them. Fortunately im trying to grow my own ghosties now, but now im going to stop feeding crickets as well since I cant see inside them!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store