GIANT gouramis

piggy67

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2007
Michigan
^^^^ Kinda sad. You should get that guy a larger tank and change the water while your waiting for the new tank......
The sad thing is if that fish is as old as stated it should be way larger. Lack of suitable housing along with a poor diet has stunted it's growth. At least "Popeye" is being taken better care of.Take it easy on the guy, Egon sounds like he's trying to give it a better life than it had..

Camaronator

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2012
Charleston, WV
If you want to harass someone about a gg being in a tank too small, mines in a 44 gallon hex (with a ton of plants and over 700 gph of filtration)

Hes been there about 3 months he was smaller than my dwarf gouramis when i first got him, im setting up a 125 for now which will hopefully give me about a year to get the next upgrade planned and setup.

Hes extremely smart, likes to watch tv, harass the peacock eel, eat sunset hygrophilia and subwassertang, mostly eats worms, live brine, i get him feeder guppies every now and then. Doesnt seem interested in eating plants unless their pretty and aquatic. I cant keep anything anabantid, grey, or generally gourami shaped (festivum cichlid) with him, but hes ok with my pike, rams and elephant nose. He doesnt bite my peacock eel, but he will nudge it and lurk around it until it spazzes out and flies around the tank like a khuli loach

edit: my water isnt cloudy, its just got 250 watts of metal halide that my phone doesnt know how to handle

936386_641411219209483_1506497613_n.jpg

936386_641411219209483_1506497613_n.jpg

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
As long as an upgrade is planned I see no issue with potentially large fish being kept in small tanks

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
Rip Grace, tank done last Tuesday no issues, feeding yesterday, dead today. Tank has overheated for some reason, water very very hot, basically boiled to death, still investigating the cause, the weather is very warm and has been for some time now, but in 35 years of fish keeping I've never had this happen. Checked the other tanks and one does catch a bit of the sun and is slightly warmer than normal but her tank is no where near sunlight yet is extremely hot :cry:

Going to drain 50% of the water tomorrow and fill it with cold and see what happens.

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
sorry for your loss.
SOunds like a heater failure.
IN the summer I am running no heaters on my tanks.
The pumps/filters keep them in the low-mid 80s.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Rip Grace, tank done last Tuesday no issues, feeding yesterday, dead today. Tank has overheated for some reason, water very very hot, basically boiled to death, still investigating the cause, the weather is very warm and has been for some time now, but in 35 years of fish keeping I've never had this happen. Checked the other tanks and one does catch a bit of the sun and is slightly warmer than normal but her tank is no where near sunlight yet is extremely hot :cry:

Going to drain 50% of the water tomorrow and fill it with cold and see what happens.
Funny how heaters never break in the off position. I lost a Cuban Gar a few years back do to a $15 heater fail. I bought 6 temp controllers after that happened and I will never rely on another heaters internal controller.

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
sorry for your loss.
SOunds like a heater failure.
IN the summer I am running no heaters on my tanks.
The pumps/filters keep them in the low-mid 80s.

Thanks for the comment, the wife is gutted as that tank is next to her chair and she has been talking about moving her into the 300 for months.

Funny how heaters never break in the off position. I lost a Cuban Gar a few years back do to a $15 heater fail. I bought 6 temp controllers after that happened and I will never rely on another heaters internal controller.
First time anything has failed like that on me, even with the heater off today the tank is still very warm, really strange.

Naos1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2012
Pasig, Philippines

Thanks for the comment, the wife is gutted as that tank is next to her chair and she has been talking about moving her into the 300 for months.

First time anything has failed like that on me, even with the heater off today the tank is still very warm, really strange.
Sorry for your loss. Makes me scared now that I run a heater even in summer. Indoor airconditioning is a hassle as it makes the tank too cold.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store