Giraffe catfish at Fish Story

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Eleven nightly meals served in the 25,000 gal / 100,000 liter. Hard to see the 6 dark-colored giraffes but can be discerned at times. They continue doing well in their new spacious home.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
So we have been in the midst of cooler season for a couple of months now. The outdoor temps range usually from low 50 to high 80 F, so about 65 F on average. The water temp in the 25K gal has been around 72 F.

Three weeks ago, we changed our 6 RO membranes for new ones and our RO production, and hence the continuous water change (100% = roughly 60K gallons), has gone up 10 times in the past 3 weeks, from 100% in 30 days to 100% in 3 days.

This may have something to do with Happy and Congo, our two Auchenoglanis wittei giraffe catfish, apparently getting amorous. They also for some reason chose the spot, where our 10 pumps sit, to constantly be in. At first I thought it was about hierarchy but now it looks like courtship. I've never tried sexing them. They had had plenty of interaction in the prior years, which I assumed were brief hierarchy disputes, but I had never caught them doing what they are doing now, neither the intensity nor the moves.

They both are 7 years old, 2.5 ft / 75 cm.

EDIT addition: full 1.5 hour video of the courtship:

Last edited:
Reactions: RD.

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
Congratulations Viktor, you are likely the first ever to film what should be pre-spawn behavior in A. Wittei! You unintentionally created springtime conditions with the increasing day length and water temperature, PH change, water and filter changes, current flow and other factors to induce spawning behavior outside of their native Congo habitat. I would think that if they had the tank to themselves and what they would prefer as a bottom substrate, with or without plants or nesting site requirements such as an shady undercut bank or log jam you would perhaps have them complete their courtship to full spawn. A nice idea but of course not exactly practical in your case!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Another reply from the highest level expert breeder, friend and peer:

"If you are interested in getting baby giraffe cats, you will be able to catch & hand strip gametes for dry fertilization if they are close to spawning. It's unlikely they would progress to actually spawning in a tank and of course all eggs would promptly get eaten by other fish."

Reactions: RD.

Xeno

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Germany
Hey,
My two specimen are pushing 8in now.
Here's a new picture.
They currently are in a 5ft tank untill my fishroom is ready for tanks again.
I had a pipe burst downstairs causing a water damage so I had to empty the room.
IMG_20220317_034845.jpg

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hi Xeno, sorry to hear of the trouble but good to see your little Volta gcat again.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The six giraffe have been doing okay in the 25K. The volta female seems to have lost some weight, which I am keeping an eye on. The Congo pair has been too busy courting. Still, to this day. So they too probably don't feed as much as usual.

Reactions: Fishman Dave
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store