giraffe catfish, Auchenoglanis occidentalis

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
No biting just physical pushing. He would go side by side with the larger Niger and bump her repeatly...
Thanks.

Sounds like light (?) body slamming, harassment. They can't really bite. Neither can nigers. But they can whack!

Was the niger affected by this or didn't care? What made you rehome the g-cat?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
Thanks.

Sounds like light (?) body slamming, harassment. They can't really bite. Neither can nigers. But they can whack!

Was the niger affected by this or didn't care? What made you rehome the g-cat?
The Niger was a tank and didn't seem to care. Seemed pretty playful. I shut down the tank for a couple months and sold/gave away everyone as no one was around to look after them.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you, again.

Playful is nice :) Good to know that there was nothing bad in the g-cat's behavior that made you get rid of it.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
... Auchenoglanis cf. occidentalis "bouche" appears to grow a bit slower and is referred to as a dwarf but I am told they are not and will break 2'... Yellowcat Yellowcat says his was rather fast growing per this thread http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=42531 Mark Smith says his is stuck at one foot per this http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32248
Per Mark's latest reply of today, IMHO there is no or not much contradiction between yellowcat's and Mark's reports.

I think it is safe to say that offering and advertising "bouche" as a dwarf Auchenoglans is wrong.

2songbirds

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
PA
I got my giraffe in January 2009, same trip I got my Achara x tsn and they've been inseparable buddies since! I love watching the g cat get the hybrids "bummy". The hybrid who's ~20" could easily do major damage to the giraffe ~12". When I first had the g cat, thing was so small I lost it in the sand-loves to dig and bury itself. So amusing to watch!!

2songbirds

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
PA
image.jpg

image.jpg

Reactions: moe214
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store