Give me the low down! DIY masters chime in!!

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
20160729_193536.jpg
It has been working good so far, a lot of tweaking. I am hope the mirror auto wrap holds up. It is $12 for a 24"x60" very easy to work with. It is sticky back. Feels pretty thick. For a plastic. Tape.

Ilawis

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2015
Perth
I don't know where the photos are of it now but I once built a fish tank coffee table out of decking timbers and a bit of 1"square wood using weed mat as the liner
I kept a NZ long tail eel in it that was very cool then a added goldfish to give it colour let's say the goldfish didn't last long at night
Built the entire thing for about$35. Sold it 2 years later for$130

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
I posted this elsewhere and it went under the radar. Should have posted it here.

I obtained a heavily used emperor 400 with a wonky impeller that made a lot of rattling noise. I considered replacing the impeller but it also made a ton of water trickle noise while running. Add to that squeaky bio wheels and disappointing flow and I knew it was either a job for the trash bin or a redesign. I chose the redesign and so far it has worked flawlessly! It's also 600gph now

I will be painting the pvc black to make it less visible as well as doing a better job hiding the cord and hose.

Reactions: markstrimaran

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
20160919_125825.jpg
Found some brochure holders. I recycled them into poly floss, carbon, mechanical filtration. The tank is on the top of a stand. So no room
under it.
The whole tray is easy to remove, and carry wet without spilling.
1466732883473.jpg
The built in algae scrubber has a 1200 Gph submersible pump. The large glass jar, half full of white filter floss. Was to much of a pita.

20160422_233731.jpg
Theirs a 1/2" hole in the corner . It will suck any thing into the baffled area. My attempt at a semi self cleaning, low mantenance fish tank.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Your sick and tired of water changes, for your fish, so your going to blow them up. With a diy pipe bomb.

I will say a DIY, high flow, carbon chlorine remover, for a continuous drip.

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
I'm lazy on cleaning my sump only used once a month and keeps sump from built up detritus is my only hint
so a in line pre-filter for your sump? thats gonna connect to the drain before
entering the actual sump assuming your gonna add a valve with a quick
disconnect and stuff that pipe with what ever floss you have so you can just
quick disconnect it and clean the floss or what ever within minutes and
reconnect it all while drinking a beer and scratching your butt within couple of
minutes? i mean i have one so only assuming lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store