Glass Catfish and Discus?

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Are these two fish compatible? I'm looking for a new schooling fish because, apparently, my neons are getting picked off by my catfish (poor planning on my part ).

I'm open to any other unusual recommendations.

Redshark1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2017
Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
In temperament I would think the Asian Glass Catfish would be very compatible although not South American like Discus.

What kind of catfish is eating your Neon Tetras? They can vary in what they will engulf depending on the species and therefore the mouth size. This would critically influence your choice of schooling fish though Glass Catfish are bigger than Neons.

What is the temperature as this can determine the suitability of fish kept together. Neons are best at a lower temperature than Discus from my experience. Glass Catfish may prefer a lower temperature than Discus, although slightly higher than Neon Tetras.

Discus tend to be kept at higher temperatures which may not suit many species that only encounter warmer conditions in the breeding season if at all. High temperatures may shorten the lifespans of fish that are not adapted to tolerate them all year round.

I look up the temperature range given on Seriously Fish though this may not give the full picture. I think it is a difficult subject to give precise information about.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
In temperament I would think the Asian Glass Catfish would be very compatible although not South American like Discus.

What kind of catfish is eating your Neon Tetras? They can vary in what they will engulf depending on the species and therefore the mouth size. This would critically influence your choice of schooling fish though Glass Catfish are bigger than Neons.

What is the temperature as this can determine the suitability of fish kept together. Neons are best at a lower temperature than Discus from my experience. Glass Catfish may prefer a lower temperature than Discus, although slightly higher than Neon Tetras.

Discus tend to be kept at higher temperatures which may not suit many species that only encounter warmer conditions in the breeding season if at all. High temperatures may shorten the lifespans of fish that are not adapted to tolerate them all year round.

I look up the temperature range given on Seriously Fish though this may not give the full picture. I think it is a difficult subject to give precise information about.
The catfish eating my tetras is my largest Striped Raphael Catfish. I choose glass catfish because they are much larger than the mouth of the raph. The temperature of my tank is around 84.

Redshark1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2017
Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
My friend found his Raphael ate his Corydoras at night.

I don't think 84F is optimum for Glass Catfish either as I think this may be too high for them.

They are not a robust fish and may not do well at 84F with a Raphael stressing them at night.

I could be wrong though as I have not done this exact thing.

I hope the discussion is helpful and that things go well.

Last edited:
Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
My friend found his Raphael ate his Corydoras at night.

I don't think 84F is optimum for Glass Catfish either as I think this may be too high for them.

They are not a robust fish and may not do well at 84F with a Raphael stressing them at night.

I could be wrong though as I have not done this exact thing.

I hope the discussion is helpful and that things go well.

Thank you!

Reactions: Redshark1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store