GLASS VS. ACRYLIC

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
Wolf3101;965451; said:
Glass dosen't become more brittle with age...A glass tank is as strong 100 years from now as it is when its made.
but the top of the vertical sheets become thinner as the glass flows :grinno:

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
I don't think I'll be around to worry about it in the 1800 years or so it'll take to make a noticable differance...lol

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
rallysman;963448; said:
I still can't understand why people say acrylic has "better clarity" than glass. Have you tried to take a picture through acrylic?!

Even if I was buying a 750g tank I would prefer glass (even though it would take a fork lift to move)
Acrylic distorts much less and is clearer than glass.

If a transparent object is surrounded by another material that has the same index of refraction, then the speed of light will not change as it enters the object. No reflection and no refraction will take place, and the object will appear invisible and without distortion, even at increased viewing angles. In addition to having a slight green tint, glass has an index of refraction that is considerably different from water.Clear acrylic panels have almost the same refractive index as water so there is no bending of light as it passes from the acrylic into water, providing better and brighter color and sharper shapes in acrylic aquariums. The huge viewing windows in large public aquariums and oceanariums can be more than 12 inches thick, but because they are made of acrylic, they afford a very clear view of the water and ocean life they enclose. Acrylic also allows better penetration of your system lighting, which is especially important for reef systems

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
www.myspace.com
TCZeli;963402; said:
wow!
so Acrylic actually scratches easier then glass?
if the only benefit is that it is lighter then it sounds like a no brainer?
is tehre anyone who perfers acrylic to glass?
that is incorrect

yes, it is half the weight of glass.

but it is also several times stronger than glass.

it insulates better than glass (save on heating and cooling power)

acrylic seams are stronger than glass seams, in fact, acrylic seams are stronger than the acrylic itself.

acrylic is easily refinished if you scratch it.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
DeLgAdO;965785; said:
id laugh my ass off if it cracked......then shattered......then id scoop your fish up and walk away :naughty:

See all of those scratches and scuffs? If it's so easy to get rid of them why are they still there?! I use glass tanks because I enjoy photography as well as fish. I llike to be able to represent and remember them well.

Paper towel will scratch acrylic. I don't want to have to worry about that crap. I'm not worried about a glass tank breaking. I've never seen it happen (with the exception of that stupid youtube video of the dude with the weights).

however, IIRC, oddball had the side of a 450g acrylic tank blow out when he was filling it.

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
www.myspace.com
rallysman;965801; said:

See all of those scratches and scuffs? If it's so easy to get rid of them why are they still there?! I use glass tanks because I enjoy photography as well as fish. I llike to be able to represent and remember them well.

Paper towel will scratch acrylic. I don't want to have to worry about that crap. I'm not worried about a glass tank breaking. I've never seen it happen (with the exception of that stupid youtube video of the dude with the weights).

however, IIRC, oddball had the side of a 450g acrylic tank blow out when he was filling it.
that is what happens when they dont ship them properly.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
DeLgAdO;965809; said:
that is what happens when you dont ship them properly
What about the scratches on your tank? is that from shipping?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store