gold nugget or royal...what do you guys suggest?

we4wieners

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2010
Atlantic City, N.J.
I would like to add a pleco with some color. What do you guys suggest and is there any difference in their care?

jbarbaresi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2009
Goode, VA
do some research in the forums as well. there's a reason not too many members have pictures of large gold nugget plecos. they are fairly difficult to care for and most don't end up reaching maturity. on the other end of the spectrum, some of the royals can reach sizes of 20+ inches so you need to make sure you can house them.

personally, my favorite plecos to own have been the p. gibbiceps and p. joselimaianus because they are very active and attractive as adults, not to mention easy to find, easy to care for, and inexpensive. i went through the "fancy" pleco phases as well and had a gold nugget, green phantom, and triactus. none of them were nearly as active as the pterygoplichthys are. it may just have been the fish i had, but what good is a "pretty" pleco that hides all day?

we4wieners

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2010
Atlantic City, N.J.
jbarbaresi;4507322; said:
do some research in the forums as well. there's a reason not too many members have pictures of large gold nugget plecos. they are fairly difficult to care for and most don't end up reaching maturity. on the other end of the spectrum, some of the royals can reach sizes of 20+ inches so you need to make sure you can house them.

personally, my favorite plecos to own have been the p. gibbiceps and p. joselimaianus because they are very active and attractive as adults, not to mention easy to find, easy to care for, and inexpensive. i went through the "fancy" pleco phases as well and had a gold nugget, green phantom, and triactus. none of them were nearly as active as the pterygoplichthys are. it may just have been the fish i had, but what good is a "pretty" pleco that hides all day?
I agree with you. And thank you for the advice. I will look in to the gibbiceps, my LFS has some. Thanks again!

jbarbaresi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2009
Goode, VA
we4wieners;4507533; said:
I agree with you. And thank you for the advice. I will look in to the gibbiceps, my LFS has some. Thanks again!
just remember the gibbys get 18-20" on average, some larger. if you can find a p. joselimaianus they are a nice alternative that usually stay around the 12" mark. they are usually sold as gold spot plecos and L001 is the number.

jbarbaresi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2009
Goode, VA
Dreamsing;4508337; said:
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=80
I love my rhino. They don't get too big and they have the most amazing cammo pattern when they are healthy. Big beautiful black sail fins as well. Really graceful and they don't get super huge. I've seen them for sale several times on the classifieds -> vendor forum here on MFK.
i was just going to recommend a rhino as well. never personally owned one but most people who have love them.

Dreamsing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas
^ Yep, love is the word. She's an adult and still gets pretty active at feeding time. Really beautiful too. Likes to stand on her back fins and look around, cutest thing I've seen a pleco do.

braaandooon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2008
www.myspace.com
if you are choosing between a royal and gold nugget i would go with the royal, like what was said, you dont see a lot of big gold nuggets around, ive been unsuccessful with two of them, my L191 royal has been great and problem free, pseudocanthicus and leprocanthicus plecos seem to me easiest to keep as they are carnivores and eat alot of readily availible fish foods that are meat based as these plecos are carnivorous, these plecs are usually on the high side as far as price, some of these plecs include L07, L29, L240, L114, L264, L91, etc, these plecs are usually really armored and spiny, these plecs can also hold there own against bigger cichlids, and are rather aggressive for plecos, problem with pseudocanthicus is that almost all of them are on the banned from export list, so if you do find one they will be quite pricey, L114 is the only that comes to mind thats not banned, i'll have an L65 tomarrow, these are also banned from export, snookn21 has a few of these for a good price, you may want to consider one of those as you probaly wont see to many more of those in the future, outside of that if colorful is your thing and you like the look of the gold nugget pleco, i would go with an L14 goldy pleco they are easier to care for than either the royal or gold nugget, and are quite active compared to most plecos, they will also do well on a varied diet

IoStrisciare

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
A Watery Grave
My advice is to go with the nugget. Try the L18. it grows to abt 12inches and is dazzling at that size.

royals generate alot of waste and can sometimes be aggressive. Do take note that when keeping royals, the tank filter sponge/mat must be maintained every few days to prevent choking from the wood and bio waste from a royal.

If you do not desire so much work, maybe the nugget might suit you more. You might go for a scoby, i.e l14 if you sesire large size and color as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store